Silk Tie Dye Easter Eggs

I thought it was about time to start thinking about Easter… So far we don't have plans as in friends over for fancy dinner, but at the very least we are going to need some pretty eggs. 

How about I try this silk tie dyeing method? I had watched a couple of YouTube tutorials (of which everybody's instructions differred from the other one's)


Here's what I did:

I cut up a scarf.


Yes, hard to believe! And hard to do, too! Even though I haven't worn it in 20 years! I had purchased it in London, England on my first business trip. But as I said, I never wear it anymore, and I needed something silky for my project.

The experts in the videos said "use bright colors", so that's what I did.


I also cut up an old formerly white T-Shirt.


I wrapped every egg (they were raw) as tightly as I could without cracking the eggs and tied them up with string. The "nice side" of the silk needs to go around the egg, so what you can see here is the "back side". Does that make sense? 


Once wrapped with the silk layer, another layer comes over it. You can use an old towel or napkin or, as I did, T-Shirt. The reason you need this, is to prevent that (darker) colors from the silk transfer to the other eggs.


Mr C was not interested in helping me. He likes his Asterix books.


Phew, all done wrapping!


Put them in a large pot and cover with cold water


Add 3 Tbsp white vinegar which helps the egg shells to absorb the colors. Let the water come to a boil, cook on medium high for 20 minutes. Yes, really, 20, and they are just as edible as if you cooked them for 10 minutes. I was surprised, too.


Take the eggs out with a tongue and let them cool enough so you don't hurt your fingers when you unwrap.


The moment of truth!



Ta-daaaa! Silk Tie Dye Easter Eggs!


The white spots are white because the silk wasn't touching the egg enough closely. Still I think they turned out pretty neat! 

So if there are any old silk ties, scarves or blouses available at your house, give this technique a try and let me know how it worked out for you!




Comments