Use Your words - Purple Rain

Today’s post is another writing challenge as well. This is how it works: participating bloggers picked 4 – 6 words or short phrases for someone else to craft into a post. All words must be used at least once, and all the posts will be unique as each writer has received their own set of words. That’s the challenge, here’s a fun twist; no one who’s participating knows who got their words and in what direction the writer will take them. Until now.


My words are: 

decorate ~ purple ~ eggplant ~ tropical ~ remember ~ chair

They were submitted by the lovely creator and facilitator of this writing challenge, 
Baking In A Tornado  - thank you, Karen!

Today I am going to take you back to some of the best times music-wise - the mid80s!




Remember Fall 1984 / Winter 1985? So many great songs:

Ray Parker Jr - Ghostbusters
Tina Turner - What's Love got to do with it
Depeche Mode - Master and Servant
Laura Branigan - Self Control
Limahl - The never ending story
Elton John - Sad Songs (say so much)
Stevie Wonder - I just called to say I love you
Status Quo - The Wanderer
Sade - Smooth Operator
The Cars - Drive
Band Aid - Do they know it's Christmas
WHAM! - Last Christmas
Madonna - Like a Virgin
Nik Kershaw - The Riddle
Frankie goes to Hollywood - The Power of Love
Alison Moyet - All cried out
Tears for Fears - Shout
Prince - Purple Rain (click to watch the video - if this platform was any good, I'd embed the song, so it would play while you're reading.)



I could go on and on, but I've got some more words to use, so here goes:

In high school we liked to throw parties at classmate's houses, especially as long as we were under 16 and couldn't get into the cool clubs. 

One time we got to party at the indoor pool area of one guy's parents' villa. The whole class of about 25 people was invited. 

Usually the kids had to limit themselves to a dozen friends which was tough. Who to invite? How to handle the ones who weren't invited? 

Usually an upcoming party was the topic of several days leading up to the day. What to wear, what snack to bring, was the person one had a crush on gonna be there? 

"I need your help", M said one day (no, not that one) "My older brother had a party last month, so this month it's my turn, my parents agreed that I could use the basement party room." 

Fantastic! So where did I come in? Did he want to borrow some of my music tapes?

"Could you do the, you know, creative stuff? Invitations, decoration? I'll take care of the technical equipment, stereo and lights."

OMG, how cool! (Thinking back he actually hired me as a party planner, sort of!) 

I had big plans and crazy ideas, I wanted a starry sky, glitter and disco balls, maybe even roller skates. But we were 15 and didn't have any money. 






So I tried to craft my own disco balls by using aluminum foil. Only it wasn't the thin, twistable kind. It was glitzier and sturdier, and instead of balls the shapes looked more like eggplants. Booo! 

M's brother had some black light bulbs that we were allowed to use. 



I asked my girlfriends to bring potato chips, pretzel rods and cake and set up the buffet. Soda, regular orange juice and mixed tropical fruit juice with pieces of pineapple to decorate the glasses with, that's how fancy it got!



Strictly no alcohol, btw, even though in Europe it'd have been not a huge deal to serve some Baccardi Cola at a private party. The only wine bottle in the room was an empty one that we used for spinning. You know… 



Clearly as teenagers we were beyond playing musical chairs!

I don't remember much about the party itself. There must have been no drama, no new couple, no breakup. Just good friends, great music and no parents! Pretty awesome Saturday night for a 15 year old!

Now go find out what my friends' words were, and what they did with them:


Baking In A Tornado 
Spatulas on Parade 
The Bergham Chronicles
The Momisodes
Southern Belle Charm
Confessions of a part time working mom 
Someone Else's Genius
Stacy Sews and Schools
Sparkly Poetic Weirdo
Searching for Sanity
Climaxed
Eileen’s Perpetually Busy
Juicebox Confession
Battered Hope


Comments