Use Your Words - Spread the Faith



Today’s post is a writing challenge. This is how it works: participating bloggers picked 4 – 6 words or short phrases for someone else to craft into a post. All words must be used at least once, and all the posts will be unique as each writer has received their own set of words. That’s the challenge, here’s a fun twist; no one who’s participating knows who got their words and in what direction the writer will take them. Until now.

My words are:

sing ~ recite ~ remember ~ ask ~ jubilation 

They were submitted by: On the Border - Thank you, Diane

I ask myself whether you had some Thanksgiving scenario in mind when you came up with these words: a family sitting in their living room, a relative playing the piano, another one singing "tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow, you're always a day aaaa-way"...

Sound familiar? That's what happened in the movie you've got mail, remember?




Meg Ryan had the leading part, Kathleen Kelly's handle was Shopgirl, and Tom Hanks played the male main character, Joe Fox, aka NY152, who had a 4-year-old half brother and an 11-year-old aunt. Interesting family constellation to say the least. They met in an online chat and had no idea that in real life their paths crossed every morning on their way to work. Kathleen was an independent bookstore owner, while Joe ran his family's chain of mega bookstores.

Speaking of Joe. 

My family and friends broke into relieved jubilation on Saturday, it was around 6pm our time, when the media had the audacity - as some like to claim - to call the winner of the election 2020!




Just like in 2016, I had not been fully enthusiastic about the Democratic candidate, but I knew whatever their downside, they were gonna be so much better than the Republican's alternative.

What did I know about Joe Biden when I first heard he was running for President?
  • Biden is an old white guy, just like 44 others. Let's make that 43. One was orange.
  • He's had his share of medical challenges, and he is rumoured to be in the early stage of dementia.
  • Some people had reservations because of his creepy uncle Joe image of getting too close to a number of attractive women.
  • Joe Biden and John McCain were best friends
  • He and Barrack Obama worked together super well and had a bromance, and I loved their memes
  • Joe loves to wear shades and 
  • He enjoys his ice cream 



Between the debates and election week I did some research, and I learned so much more about him:
  • Joe played wide receiver and halfback on Archmere Academy, his high school's football team. 
  • He may not have been the best student, but he was a respected leader and served as class president during his junior and senior years.
  • Growing up with a stutter, Joe would recite Yeats and Emerson in front of a mirror to work on his public speaking.
  • He likes his classic cars and still has his Dad's 67 Corvette Stingray.
  • He wrote and championed the Violance Against Women Act against sexual assault and domestic violence.
  • After losing his wife Neilia and daughter Naomi in a car accident on their way to buy a Christmas tree, he was sworn into the Senate at his sons' hospital bedsides. "If in six months or so there'll be a conflict between my being a good Father and Senator, which I hope will not occur, we can always get another Senator, but they can't get another Father," Joe said
  • Biden took the train from Wilmington, DE to Washington D.C. every day so he could be home with his kids. That's 75 minutes on the train per way.
  • At age 29, he became one of the youngest people ever elected to the U.S. Senate. He met the constitutional age requirement of 30 by the time he was sworn in.
  • As a polititian he knew persistence was a key quality. So he didn't give up when Jill, his girlfriend, turned down four of his marriage proposals. After all, the fifth time is a charm, right?
  • 1987 marked his first campaign for President. He got himself into trouble for quoting a British Labour Party leader in his speeches without giving him credit. As a result he dropped out of the race. "There will be other opportunities for me to campaign as the president", he said. And he didn't even have to run four more times ;-)
  • After his nomination (presidential campaign 2008) the Catholic bishop in his home town Scranton, PA, barred Joe from receiving the holy communion because of Biden's support for abortion rights.
  • Sadly in 2015, his oldest son Beau died fro Glioblastoma, the most aggressive type of brain cancer. The same kind that also took Biden's good friend McCain's life only three years later. 
  • "Pop Biden" has six grandchildren whom he calls every day. Fun fact: Naomi, Joe's oldest granddaughter, attended the same class at University of Pennsylvania as Tiffany Trump. 
  • After JFK, Joe Biden is going to be the second catholic president in U.S. history. 
  • He made a great choice in appointing Kamala Harris as his VP - I'm blown away by her! Smart, charismatic, strong - can't wait to see her in action!
  • Biden will bring his two German shepherd dogs, Champ and Major @DOTUS into the White House. Major was adopted from an animal shelter and is a trained rescue dog



67 more days until the incumbent White House resident will be moving out. Not sure if he'll leave voluntarily; they will probably have to remove him, kicking and screaming. For your convenience, here's the countdown.


So all in all I am more than happy with the future president, I think he and Kamala will do great things.

Are you as excited as I am? What are your hopes and expectations?

Let me know below, and please don't leave before checking out my blogger friends' posts:   


                                                                                                                                                                                  

Comments

  1. Your "one was orange" statement made me literally laugh out loud.
    Since I live in the USA, I'm a little ashamed to say that I learned a few things about Biden from you today. I think I did less research than I normally would have in an election year because, honestly, it didn't matter who ran against the orange baby, that democrat would have gotten my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The relief was palpable in our house when the announcement finally came. And, being Canadian, we're merely peripheral to the entire story!
    I like what I hear of Joe Biden. He has values, morals and decency. Things that have been sorely lacking during the past four years. Thank you for these additional tidbits. I like him even more now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am. I was actually worried about my mental health if he won again. The anxiety and depression were getting out of control. We have all been living under an extraordinary pressure for the last few years. I hope these needed changes will not be too late.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I live in the US and am as of this AM a brand new subscriber. What brought me to your blog was a search for anything I haven't already read on Lindsay Buziak's case. I would love it if you wrote more about that, and was sorry to see you write that you had deleted a lot of things you did write about that case, specifically, about the Zailos. I haven't formed a definite opinion yet but I think they were probably involved, though the police seemed determined to declare them totally innocent....which in itself is interesting. Ms. Zailo saying she doesn't know Ziggy is odd when he rented a house from her and knew her two sons.
    But on to the election: THANK GOD BIDEN WAS ELECTED. Does that say how I feel? :)
    I despise every bone in trump's body, he and his fascist friends who claim to be such strong Christians. The anti-christ himself! Or, as a friend of mine said: trump is the spawn of Satan!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.