Taxi



This incident happened 2003 on the trip during which we got engaged. It was my fiancé's chance to reconsider because I certainly showed my bitchy side.

Let's start at the beginning. We had visited several areas in the U.S. 

Our first destination was Mount Rushmore, from where we drove to Yellowstone National Park.

We then flew to the Southwest: Southern California and Arizona

Next leg: New Orleans, Louisiana

And finally, for a full four days: New York City

Hubby had visited before 2001, for me, It was my first time, and I was excited.

We arrived at JFK airport. It was raining, and we figured it'd be more convenient to take a cab than the subway to drive into Manhattan. By this point in time we had done some shopping, meaning we were hauling extra bags.

When choosing a hotel we had looked at several options. Whatever we did, there was always, always that one that popped up, no matter what website we used. It was a time before apps, mind you. That one hotel was the Marriott Marquis hotel directly on Times Square. 

Don't get me wrong, that is a fantastic location, and they have the rates to prove it. Geez, I wanted to stay there, not purchase the room! 

I'm usually a IHG kind of girl, but I think my beloved Holiday Inn locations were fully booked, so we picked a different Marriott, it was called Marriott Courtyard, it was a very good location, too, and they offered more affordable rooms. 




I had taken the trouble to print out my booking confirmation, and I wanted to show it to our taxi driver. 

"I don't need the address, I know where it is", he said.

Just make sure it's the Courtyard, not the Marquis, I pointed out.

The driver seemed grumpy.

Every couple of minutes he stopped and asked for cash: toll road, tunnel, bridge, you name it. We were running low on Dollar bills. The meter kept running as we were stuck in traffic, so this cab ride gave us anxiety early on. 

Did I mention it was raining? This fact contributed to my feeling discouraged. Plus the longer the ride took, the more I needed to pee. 

Finally we stopped at a hotel driveway. One look, and I knew we were in the wrong place. 

Sir, this is not the address we wanted to go. Our hotel is located..., I was rummaging in my purse to find the printout that contained the address.

"I took you to the Marriott, just as you told me. That'll be (insert insane amount of money)."

Whatever we did, first I needed to pee.

I ran into the hotel lobby and asked for the bathrooms.

"This is for our hotel guests only. Are you checking in?"

By the time I returned to the check-in area, my financé was standing there, along with our countless bags.

"We are in the wrong place" he said. 

No kidding! 

What were our options?

Stay where we were. Pay for a (what was going to turn out to be) tiny room with a gigantic price, no breakfast.

Take another cab, pay an insane amount of money for a 1.3 miles trip during rush hour.

We were tired, we were hungry, it was raining, and we probably didn't even have enough cash to pay for another ride. So we stayed. 

The location may have looked great at first. I mean, we stayed right on Times Square where everything was! 

Everything, however, was marketed towards one-time visitors. 

Usually when we travel in the U.S. we love the restaurant experience. Quick and friendly service, delicious food at decent prices. Unfortunately, the places we picked were the exact opposite. Read about my pancakes with cockroach on the side I had one morning.

Our trip back home - after a full four days of rain - didn't go well either. It contained two more taxi rides. It was our own fault, though. I blogged about it at the beginning of this series.


Comments

  1. I like how your 'bitchiness' didn't scare him away. He's definitely a keeper! Love hearing about your travels. We've had insane experiences with cab drivers too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having lived in New York for over 2 decades and working in Manhattan for 5 of those years, I understand your disgust and disappointment with your experience while there. I stay away from Manhattan unless there is no other option than to go there. Hopefully, something positive came out of the experience. The Scriptures tell us to give thanks in all things, so from that I believe every experience, pleasant or unpleasant, teaches us a lesson or develops our character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taxi travel in New York does manage to cause anxiety, doesn't it? LOL
    You have had some really cool traveling experiences, although I am sure they did not feel that way at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice cab driver...NOT! What an ordeal you had but that's NYC for you. My grandson lives in Manhatten and usually walks everywhere, he says is quicker and easier. A side order of cockroach? Hmmm, no thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have actually stayed at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square, but it was the company's annual meeting and all paid for.

    Donna McNicol - My A to Z Blogs
    DB McNicol - Small Delights, Simple Pleasures, and Significant Memories
    My Snap Memories - My Life in Black & White

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an unhappy experience. But I'm sure the engagement part overshadowed it in the bigger picture.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.