Ultimate Blog Challenge - Graduation Class of 2023

Welcome back to another episode of the Ultimate Blog Challenge.

It's Day 7, and here's our writing prompt:

"For today's blog post write about something fun! What do you do in your business or personal life that is fun?"

Well, I like to travel and explore new places, I like going out to dinner with a small group of people, and that's exactly what we did after Colin's Graduation Ceremony. 

I thought I'd tell you about it since you shared my pain as I was preparing for it. 

He looked handsome in his suit, even though of course he felt awkward.

There were about 80 kids graduating, divided into four school classes. They all had prepared an entertaining way to introduce themselves and tell us about their future plans. 



One group had a brilliant idea. They behaved as if it was their 20 years' anniversary since leaving junior high, and it was the first time back for a reunion. So the 15/16 year olds narrated what they heard about their classmates' journey over the course of two decades:

"Look, there's so-and-so, wasn't he always a heartthrob, I hear he got married young, and they have four children. I understand he works as an architect, just as he was always talking about. They live in a beautiful house by the lake, and of course it was built according to his own design."

"Oh, and isn't this (insert name), I have a hard time recognizing her. She was so shy as a young student, looks like she really found her place as a management consultant for an international firm. Obviously she travels a lot, how wonderful that she managed to join us. I wonder if she still likes horseback riding?"

They did such a great job describing what they thought their classmates were going to turn out like. I do hope that they keep in touch and actually meet in 20 years' time to find out if their predictions came close. 

There was an outdoor cocktail reception of sorts, and I had the opportunity to say goodbye to Collin's main teacher, whom I liked a lot. We were both almost crying.

Then we went to our dinner I had made a reservation for. What a bunch of good looking young men, right? If you think they look almost the same, you're correct. There's triplets among them. When they were little, two of them were really identical. These days I can tell them apart much easier. 



The service was very attentive, and the food, as well as the company were excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and I tried to stay in the moment and not to become sad about the fact that the kids (and probably the parents) are going to go separate ways after the summer break. Even if we manage to stay in touch occasionally, it won't be the same. It's so easy to get together at these school related events. 



We'll see. As I was saying, I had a great time - can you tell?

Comments

  1. Best wishes to Colin and his friends. The idea of a prediction of a 20 year reunion sounds like fun.I hope they recorded this, so that they can compare on their 20th reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to Colin! This does look like a fun time was had by all. It’s true that your friendships won’t be the same but if you all make the effort, you might have more in common besides the kids than you thought. That’s what I found as my kids got older.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.