UBC October 2024 - Lemon Laundry

Welcome back to the UBC of October 2024.

A few weeks ago I wanted to try out a laundry trick. I soaked cotton T-shirts that had turned gray in lemon water for several hours. I kept stirring my mixture. I even added a little baking soda. Then I hung the laundry out in the summer sun and left it to dry. I waited anxiously and hopeful for the result. Unfortunately, there was no change to be seen. 




I asked around, and people recommended a bleach-free product, so I repeated the procedure, again, hopeful.




The result? No change whatsoever. How disappointing. 

I know it's partly my fault that my whites turned so gray. Back in the olden days, I used to separate light and dark colors. Since I became a Mom I didn't have it in me. 

Also with Colin playing hockey, I always have so much laundry, I put everything in there together. What's more, we have very calcareous water here, which probably doesn't help either. 

So here's my question: My last resort is to purchase bleach. Is this going to work? Anyone can vouch for bleach?


Comments

  1. Hmm - Melissa 'clean my space' likely has some tips!!
    I use little laundry sheets (from Canada - love them!) and borax in each load - i sometimes spritz things like my kitchen towels with my natural all purpose cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My question for you, Tamara, is... how did it smell after using the lemon to do the cleaning? I bet it smelt great - especially if you air dry them like your picture.

    I think the secret to getting the gray out of the color is to start with gray tshirts - LOL!! Personally, I stay away from whites as I will invariably get something on it, or it just starts to turn gray.

    Good luck with your quest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I like Nadya's idea to add borax! I add vinegar to my laundry not sure about whiteness but it is great for a clean fragrance free scent. A no-scent option. Good luck with getting out the greys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just mix everything too but the only whites I have are socks and they are slightly grey now too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never use bleach because the smell makes me sick, so I don't know. I would think so, though. I hope ypu find a solution that works. I am wondering, too, if they smelled lemony fresh after the lemon soak.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.