UBC July 2026 - Shopping

Photo Credit: Prague Daily News


Looking at the weather forecast, we had to brace ourselves for one non-sunny day out of four. Some people would jump at the occasion to visit a museum, and there are plenty to choose from in Prague: the National Museum, the Jewish Museum, the Franz Kafka Museum, or the Museum of Communism, just to name a few.

Colin wasn't feeling too well, and hubby had a laundry deadline (you’ll read about that in a few days), so one of us stayed at the hotel while the other ventured to the closest mall. I sacrificed my time and joined the husband. I am being ironic here; on most days I consider a trip to the mall time well spent. Plus I had some blog reading and commenting to catch up on (it was April, remember).

I was curious how “American” versus local, or at the very least “European”, it was going to feel. Let’s give each some points:

A historic setting: Unlike the concrete blocks often found in suburban areas, the Palladium is housed in a former 19th-century military barracks. Its listed façade and integration into Prague’s historic center make it architecturally unique. During construction, significant medieval remains were discovered, some of which were incorporated into the structure of the shopping center. Definitely Czech.

A quick website visit told me there are two Starbucks stores. Point for the West.

The food court is dominated by global fast food chains, including McDonald’s, Burger King, KFC, and Pizza Hut. More points for America.

On the other hand, I discovered eateries such as “Bageterie Boulevard”, a Czech fast-casual concept serving freshly baked baguettes, salads, and soups, and “Ugo Salaterie” (soups, salads, and bowls made with fresh ingredients sourced from local producers). Yes, they borrow a bit of French in the branding, and yes, “Bageterie” is really spelled like that according to them, I call it butchered, but the concepts are distinctly local. Points for the locals.

The mall has eleven floors in total, five of which are dedicated to shopping and dining. The rest is used for parking and services such as the famous laundrette, barber shops, nail salons, shoe repair, and a dedicated children’s play area. More points for America.

While typical enclosed American shopping malls generally do not include full-scale grocery stores, Palladium in Prague conveniently features an Albert supermarket, Marks & Spencer Food, and Delmart. Point for the Czechs.

Brands such as Manufaktura (traditional Czech cosmetics), KARA (Czech leather goods specialist), Klenoty Aurum (Czech jewellery), and the Luxor bookstore are deeply rooted in local culture and stand out from the global, cookie-cutter mix. Points for Czechia.

There are also smaller “Czech boutique” style shops featuring high-quality items from local designers. Another point for the locals.

What about prices? I’ll be talking about money in a few days. There are interesting differences, mainly linked to the type of stores: local brands tend to be good value, while international brands are often significantly more expensive. Point for both sides? No points? You decide.

Other than that, I couldn’t find a major difference compared to a mall in Switzerland. Very close to the entrance you’ll find smokers, inside you’ll find families with multiple children (often in various states of enthusiasm), and dogs.

Let’s talk about dogs at the mall for a moment. I can see two types. One is the family dog as described above: people bringing their dog along because they don’t want to leave it home alone or in the car.

And then there is the more curated “Instagram dog", often owned by young, stylish women. Breeds like Yorkshire Terriers, Bichon Frises, Maltese, or Chihuahuas accompany their owners into designer stores, perfume shops, nail salons, and cafés. Some walk along on their own, sometimes wearing a coat or collar that matches the overall aesthetic, while others are carried in what look like handbags, which are in fact designer pet carriers made specifically for small dogs.



There are even strollers for dogs, and I find myself wondering whether all of them are really intended for elderly or injured pets. The dogs I see often look alert and energetic, and I can’t help but think they might prefer running around outside in a park rather than being surrounded by background music, voices, and the sensory overload of a shopping mall.

What do you think about dogs at the mall? And would you enjoy visiting a Czech shopping mall?


Comments

  1. This mall certainly is a magnificent building . It brings me back memories of the time I enjoyed shopping there back in 2006. At that time i was interested in the bridal shops as I was engaged to be married at that time . I stumbled across a boutique called “Alice” I forgot her surname . But I was impressed as the label had my name in it ! So I couldn’t resist going inside and trying on some of her gorgeous dresses 👗 I did buy one pink puffy evening gown that I adored - but I no longer have it , I don’t think. I’ve lost track of it and might possibly have given it away by now as I’ve not seen that dress in decades ! Such beautiful architecture in Prague - I so enjoyed my visit there - but no idea whether I will ever make it back again though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying your stay in Prague. As for shopping malls, I'm not a huge fan, but I would go to one in another country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, I probably would have done exactly what you did and checked out the mall! I enjoy seeing the local shops and grocery stores. The dog strollers, though... I think I'll never quite understand that trend.























































    I have to admit, I probably would have done exactly what you did and checked out the mall! I enjoy seeing the local shops and grocery stores when I travel because they give a glimpse into everyday life that you don't get from the tourist attractions. The dog strollers, though... I think I'll never quite understand that trend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love dogs, so I don't mind seeing them at the mall, especially the cute ones. And yes, I'll definitely be interested in visiting a Czech mall to feel its vibe when I have the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how even a visit to a shopping mall can reveal so many cultural differences! My husband and I love exploring local shops and supermarket, but I suspect Cookie would much rather visit a park than travel around in a dog stroller (which actually has already happened. When I went to Napoli for the last time, we travelled by car - looong journey - and in Napoli there are baskets in the trolleys for dogs. Cookie definitely wasn't amused. 😅 But wait... 11 floors????? 🤯

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would enjoy strolling through such a mall. But I am not keen with dogs in the mall. What if they have to do a number? Are you trained not to?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tamara, the exterior of that mall is not something a person from the US would guess contained...a mall. It looks more like a stylish government building or a hotel. So good for them! I would be curious to walk around this mall once. But I am tired of Every City looking the same now, and the McDonalds-Starbucks ethic inside the mall helps subtract from any sense that you are in Prague. As to dogs, if they are happy, I'm happy. Thanks for another fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course you found a Starbucks! I'm not a big mall fan even when on vacation. I like to get what I need and get out for some hiking. My neighbor has a stroller for her 2 small dogs and the bark constantly even when she walks them around the block! As much as Snowball loves to got "shopping" with me, I don't think the mall is a place for dogs. Can you imagine if half the shoppers had dogs with them! But I do let him go to Lowe's or Home Depot and he stays on his blanket in the back of the cart waving his paws to everyone!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.