UBC July 2026 - Spared from Destruction



I noticed something in Prague that made me stop in my tracks.

The city looks almost unfairly intact.

Not “nicely restored” intact. But genuinely, jaw-droppingly old. Like you can walk down a street, turn a corner, and feel as if someone just quietly forgot to bulldoze the last 600 years.

And then the question hits:

How did Prague survive the World War II looking like this?

The short version: it wasn’t bombed to oblivion because, strategically speaking, it wasn’t worth leveling, and by the time destruction became more widespread in Europe, the war was already collapsing in on itself.

Prague was occupied early in 1939, taken over without major fighting. That alone changed its fate. No drawn-out siege. No scorched-earth retreat. No months of aerial carpet bombing like in other parts of Europe. Instead, it became part of the German-controlled industrial and administrative system. Grim, but not physically obliterated.

Geography also quietly helped. Early Allied bombers simply couldn’t reach it easily. And by the time long-range bombing was possible, priorities had shifted to bigger strategic targets closer to the front lines.

There was damage, though. Not everything survived the war unscathed. One tragic example was the mistaken US bombing on 14 February 1945, when pilots misidentified Prague and hit parts of the city thinking it was Dresden. It’s one of those eerie wartime errors that feels almost impossible from today’s perspective. How do you confuse entire cities?

But then again, navigation in the 1940s wasn’t GPS, obviously. It was a mix of dead reckoning (basically: speed + time + direction and hope you’re right), visual landmarks, and celestial navigation. Pilots literally checked position using the sun and stars. Later in the war, radio navigation systems improved things, but accuracy still had a human margin of error built in. Sometimes, devastatingly so.

Photo Credit: Philipp Deus on Pexels


When I was in Berlin for work years ago, I remember standing in front of the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church. The old spire, bombed in 1943 and never rebuilt, stands there like a deliberate wound left open. It’s haunting, but also strangely powerful. A reminder you can’t “renovate away” history.

And it made me think of something my dad once said. He was born during the war, and growing up in Switzerland, the proximity to Germany wasn’t abstract history; it was noise in the background of everyday life. Bombers overhead. Uncertainty about direction. The unsettling idea that borders on a map don’t matter much when you’re in the sky and running on estimates.

That’s the strange thing about all of this. Today, 117 km (73 miles) feels like a trivial distance, something you’d drive without thinking, maybe even complain about in traffic. Back then, it could mean the difference between precision and catastrophe.

And yet, out of all this chaos, Prague emerged with its medieval core still standing. Not untouched, but recognizably itself. Which is why walking through it today feels less like visiting a rebuilt city and more like stepping into something that simply… survived.



So here’s what I keep wondering:

If Prague had been a more “important” target, or if navigation errors had been just a bit more frequent, would we still have this living, layered medieval city today?

Or put differently:

How much of the world’s “old beauty” is actually just luck that the wrong people missed it at the right time? 

We won't be able to answer this today, so instead let's just be grateful and appreciate Prague's beauty. 

Comments

  1. As usual, a lovely history lesson about Prague, Tamara. It gives me goosebumps to think about the contrast between "117 km feeling trivial today but meaning the difference between precision and catastrophe then". I bet there are so many more places that went through something similar in history. I mean, even when I think about Vesuvio, Pompeii and Herculaneum, for example. The direction of the wind changed the fate of many of inhabitants of Herculaneum, for example. Because of the wind, they had a bigger scape window. Mad, isn't it? I'm loving your posts and knowing what you're writing will definitely change the way I look at Prague next time I walk through it. 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is remarkable isn’t it! That’s precisely what i thought too as I walked along the old town in Prague. The
    Architecture is mind blowing and the history - so awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That's an amazing perspective that you shared. I wonder how many other locations throughout Europe were just lucky at that time. Thank you for your sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.