UBC July 2026 - VAT in Czechia


Photo Credit:  Minel Uygun on Pexels


I usually don't pay attention, but while looking at the very important laundry receipt, I noticed that the price included 21% VAT. Holy!

Before I continue, I should probably explain to my dear American readers that VAT (value added tax) is not exactly the same as the sales tax you are used to.

Sales tax is only applied once, at the final retail purchase, whereas VAT is collected at every stage of the supply chain.

In simplified terms, every business charges VAT on what it sells, but can also reclaim the VAT it paid on business expenses. In the end, the final consumer carries the actual tax burden.

Governments like VAT because it creates a steady and predictable stream of revenue. Since the tax is collected throughout the production and distribution process, it is also harder to completely avoid than a retail only sales tax system.

And what does the state do with all that money? Pretty much everything. VAT revenue helps fund roads and trains, schools and universities, healthcare systems, police and fire services, pensions, waste collection, public administration, and countless other things most of us use every day without thinking about it.

In many European countries, VAT is one of the government's biggest sources of income. Tax systems are always a balancing act. Some countries rely more heavily on VAT and consumption taxes, while others place a bigger burden on income or wealth taxes.

I know that we are blessed with low VAT in Switzerland, and yet people were whining when it increased from 7.7% to 8.1% in 2024. 

Our neighboring countries Germany, Austria, Italy, and France all have VAT rates between 19% and 22%, but I don’t drive 45 minutes to Germany for groceries, even though the food is cheaper and I could reclaim VAT on eligible purchases.

I guess my shock about Czechia's 21% VAT comes from the fact that goods and services there are still significantly cheaper than in Switzerland. Overall living costs are much lower, especially for dining out, services, and local food.

For example, we had lunch at a fairly nice restaurant slightly outside the main tourist area. The three of us had pizza or pasta plus a beverage. Including tips, we paid CZK 800, less than USD 40. Amazing, right?

But then I started doing the math.

Take away 21% VAT, and roughly CZK 660 remain to cover rent, labor, energy, ingredients, and hopefully still leave a little profit. How?

Part of the answer is that restaurants do not actually lose the full 21% themselves. They charge VAT to customers, but they can deduct the VAT they paid on ingredients, utilities, equipment, and other business expenses.

The other part is that costs in Czechia are simply lower across the board. Commercial rents are lower than in Switzerland, wages are lower, utilities are cheaper, and locally sourced food often costs less too. Family run restaurants may also operate with lean staffing and relatively small profit margins.

And finally, restaurants make the math work through volume. If a place serves dozens or even hundreds of customers a day, those modest amounts add up quickly.

Still, sitting there happily eating your very affordable pizza while mentally dissecting the economics of it all feels slightly miraculous.

What surprised me even more was that many global Western products did not seem cheaper at all. We checked iPhone prices out of curiosity, and they were pretty much at Western European levels.

Which suddenly changes the perspective completely.

A restaurant lunch for three may cost less than USD 40, but an Apple product still costs close to what it does in Switzerland, Germany, or France. Relative to local salaries, that makes premium electronics dramatically more expensive for the average Czech consumer.

And it is not just Apple. I dropped CZK 1,100 (USD 54) for two small bags of Starbucks whole bean coffee. Granted, they were single origin Starbucks Reserve blah blah blah. Still!



Many imported global brands and internationally priced goods feel disproportionately expensive compared to local purchasing power. Electronics, cars, branded fashion, cosmetics and household appliances can represent a much bigger financial stretch than they would for someone earning a Swiss or Western European salary.

The reason is simple. Products like iPhones or Nike sneakers are priced for a global market. Companies do not significantly lower prices just because local wages are lower. As a result, everyday life, including local food and services, can feel remarkably affordable, while global consumer goods often seem like luxury items.

That creates two parallel realities. Your lunch reflects local wages, rents and economic conditions. Your smartphone or designer handbag belongs to a global pricing universe that pays little attention to the average Czech salary.

There is no quick fix for that. Switching to the euro or adjusting VAT would not suddenly make imported brands more affordable. Economic convergence takes decades.

So, for now, the Czech Republic remains a place where everyday life feels pleasantly affordable to many Western visitors, while some symbols of global consumer culture remain relatively expensive for many locals.

Have you noticed the same contrast when travelling? Where have you found everyday life to be inexpensive, but global brands surprisingly costly?

Comments

  1. Another good reason to live in Switzerland! 8 or 9 percent VaT does sound good - as the VAT here in the UK is currently 20 percent

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very topical point at this moment especially with Rises in cost of living since the last year !

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that lunch for three cost less than two small bags of Starbucks coffee says everything about those two parallel realities! 😅 Living in the UK, 20% VAT doesn’t shock me, but global products remaining so expensive in relation to local salaries certainly does. I think that in a way, it makes us choose local brands rather than the global ones. (I never go to Starbucks - I wouldn't even know what to order! 😅) Did you find yourself choosing local brands more often while you were there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW that was a great economical lesson. It seems like no matter where we live and whether it be VAT, sales tax, tourist tax, or any other tax, we just have to bite the bullet and pay it for what ever it's ear marked for. But 21% seems like a sticker shock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess that for the regular person, they can live affordably on a lesser wage as the imports would be considered luxury items and not necessary. It definitely would encourage me to buy local.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the fact that it would encourage people to buy locally. But I understand people like the brand names. It means prestige.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, VAT and affordability! A lot to think about. What about utilities there? My internet just went up 20% with no reason given and no pitch that they are offering new features. I do favor buying local when possible. May as well not worry about the VAT. I love that your pizza dinner worked out as delicious and low-priced!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.