UBC October 2026 - Lai da Palpuegnia

Today let me show you a gorgeous little corner of my country. During our extended "hockey game trip" I have been talking about, we almost drove past it. Good thing I suggested to stop at Lai da Palpuegnia - it translates simply as “Palpuegnia Lake.” 

The name is Romansh, from the Graubünden/Rhaeto-Romance linguistic landscape. Romansh is one of Switzerland’s four national languages, but it is spoken by only a small minority: roughly 0.5% of Switzerland’s population, about 40,000 people, list Romansh as their main language, although around 60,000 people are estimated to speak it.

I am not one of them. My Romansh language skills are limited to the following:

Allegra = Hello

Bun di = Good day

Viva = literally “Long live,” but mainly used as “Cheers” when raising a glass

Back to the topic at hand though. Yesterday we were talking about Caumasee and how it has escalated to an Instagram destination. 

Now Palpuegnia lake sits at 1,920 meters (about 6,300 feet) above sea level, on a natural terrace above the tiny settlement of Preda, surrounded by larch forests and the Albula Alps.

Lai da Palpuegnia is actually quite small: roughly 500 meters long and 100 meters wide, or about 1,640 feet by 330 feet, with a maximum depth of around 25 meters (82 feet). But what it lacks in size, it more than makes up for in scenery. The crystal-clear turquoise water, framed by mountain peaks and forests, makes it easy to understand why it was voted “the most beautiful spot in Switzerland” in a 2007 Swiss television survey; a rather delightfully Swiss claim to fame.

Despite its inviting appearance, this is not a swimming lake. Swimming is prohibited for safety and environmental reasons, but there are picnic areas and official fire pits where visitors can enjoy the surroundings.



We visited in late September, but there was one small problem with our timing: the larches hadn't turned golden yet. They were still mostly green, which means I now have a very good excuse to come back. I suspect Lai da Palpuogna surrounded by those brilliant yellow larches, with the mountains reflected in the water, might be even more spectacular.

And then there's Preda itself. Geographically, the lake lies above this tiny settlement, which has fewer than ten permanent residents. Preda is technically a Weiler rather than a village, essentially a tiny Alpine hamlet, but despite its minuscule population, it has a railway station with regular trains, a hotel/restaurant, a guesthouse, holiday apartments, and is the starting point of the famous Preda–Bergün toboggan run.

Not bad for a place with fewer than ten people calling it home.




Lai da Palpuogna is definitely going on my list for a return visit. preferably when the larches have turned golden.

Have you ever stumbled across a hidden gem that took you completely by surprise?


PS: I need to add something to yesterday's post. Kebba asked about the type of self-service restaurant at Caumasee:

By self-service, I mean a buffet-style setup. You help yourself to whatever you want at the salad bar, grab your drinks, and pay at the cashier, much like at a supermarket. Then you carry your tray to a table, and when you're done, you clear your own table and return your tray and used dishes to a designated cart.


Comments

  1. Beautiful photos. I want to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful spot! I always learn about new places from your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful little corner in your country! Going to hockey game trips sure pays off in more ways than one! I like the self-serve buffet setups. We have a few here and it's nice to see people actually clearing the table!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful place...I am sure it's prettier when the leaves turn yellow and gold...I loved the picture with the bench looking across the lake...bliss

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous lake! I can see why it’s your favourite spot in Switzerland. With such a small hamlet, it must make for a very quiet spot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful lake for sure. Switzerland is full of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful! That lake really is turquoise and boy, you don't get to see that very often (or I don't). Glad you were able to stop there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.