Back Story to my IKEA Cake

As I mentioned in my main post, IKEA's kids' area, Småland, was a happy place for me when I was a kid in the late 70s. Is there a better feeling than so slide into the ball pit? I believe not.





So of course I wanted to recreate the edible version, and I was confident that the slide could be made from cookie dough. 

Things were looking good. I had it all figured out, I even constructed a heat-resistant framework.



Can you believe it???


OK, I'm gonna deal with my slide later. 

If all else fails, I'm gonna need a logo sheet cake.

First, print out the mirror-inverted template and place it underneath the baking paper.


Make batter. (Scroll all the way down for recipe)
My kitchen machine is still in the repair shop. Luckily I still have my good old hand mixer!


Fill batter into piping bag and start tracing. Shooot, what's going on?



Transfer batter into squeeze bottle. Weigh down paper with cups. Start over. There you go.


Put the baking sheet in the freezer. The logo needs to be really firm before pouring over the yellow batter.

Time do dress up our LEGO man. Here's a tool belt for you, big guy!


The moment of truth!



For the ball pit I baked another lemon cake. I used a simple square baking pan, cut out a round shape and scooped out some of the cake. I placed a Playmobil slide on the rim and filled the pit with chocolate M&Ms. 



The rocking horses are supposed to be IKEA moose ;-)





Maria's Lemon Sheet Cake 

Ingredients

4 eggs, separated
1.5 cups (300g) granulated white sugar
1 lemon, zest and juice
0.5 cups (120ml) sparkling water
0.66 cups (150ml) sunflower oil
2.5 cups (300g) all purpose flour
1 pack (3.75 teaspoons or 15g) baking powder
1 pinch salt


Instructions

Preheat your oven: 180°C / 350°F

Beat the egg whites until they form firm peaks, set aside.
In a separate bowl mix together egg yolks, sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy.
Pour in water, oil and lemon juice, mix carefully.
Add flour mixture.
Fold in egg whites

Pour on baking sheet, bake for about 20 minutes, test with a toothpick.

Usually you would pour over a light icing (1 cup powdered sugar + 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice) over the still slightly warm sheet cake)

Comments