Ultimate Blog Challenge - It takes a Village

Welcome back! It's Day 2 of the Ultimate Blog Challenge. Today's official writing prompt is to tell you how I got started with my niche. I struggle with this expression. What is my niche? I am a part-time working Hockey Mom who lives in Switzerland and likes to travel, explore and enjoy life. Who is my target audience? Other Moms? If yes, this post is for you. 

This lady's rant subtitled "it's me - I'm the village" resonates with me. 

She's a sleep deprived Mom who says people always tell her not to be afraid to accept help, and she is like "from who? And with what? Are you able to transfer some sleep hours into my account? I'm so overwhelmed these days that by the time I get around to explain to somebody else how they could help me, I could have freaking done it three times over by myself! Plus now I'm behind schedule."

Of course all kinds of moms commented:

  • There IS help! There's psychologists, there's church groups, there's babysitters and there's cleaners.
  • I've asked for help so many times, and it's nothing but excuses why they can't.
  • Yep. And also why do we need to ask for the help? Either do it or don't, we're too fucking tired for this asking nonsense.
  • I could never understand managers who would chastize you for not having a “back up” to take care of your sick kids because daycare wouldn't take them. For a lot of women there’s no such thing. And honestly, who wants to take your Ebola infected child anyway?

I was that lady when Colin was a baby. 

I'm not good at asking for help in general, and I didn't act any differently when I became a Mom. I figured I made him, he was my responsibility, end of story. 

When he was four months old I went back to work, well, it was a mini job on Friday afternoons. My parents, who live in the same village, babysat Colin on these afternoons. 

What did I do because I felt guilty? I invited them to lunch over at my house on those Fridays. 

I spent Thursdays brainstorming recipes, getting groceries and cleaning the house, and I spent Friday mornings getting myself ready for work and making a somewhat elaborate menu. 

Of course I did all that with a newborn to care for. Did I mention he was a really bad sleeper? The best way to get him to sleep was to take him for a walk in the stroller for an hour or more.

By the time Friday lunch was over, and I arrived at the office, I was exhausted.

I was just going through old pictures from that time. I paid attention to my hair. During the entire pregnancy I didn't observe my usual hair appointments. I had read that the chemical products used to dye your hair may not be recommended. Of course after Colin was born I didn't have the time or energy to make an appointment, let alone, go to the salon.

It seems the first time I went back was four months after giving birth. I don't even remember that day, but it must have felt like a little piece of freedom?

Before picture, September 2008, Baby Colin was only about ten days old.



Before picture, December 2008 - obviously. How cute was my little Santa?


After picture, January 2009, early planning stages for this hockey career:



If you're a Mom: Did you have a village? At what point in time did they show up? 


Comments

  1. It's all about priorities. We have a sign that says Messy house and happy kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I had my son, I had a village of friends who were new moms or pregnant. Plus, my parents were healthy enough to take their only grandchild (at the time) to keep for a while. My husband's family did the same thing. With my second child, it was different as we didn't live close to family AND my daughter has special needs. It sounds like you had a good village as well...just 4 months in LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. When our first daughter was born I had my mom and grandmother. When our second was born my grandmother had passed away and my mom and dad were planning their move to South Carolina to retire. But I really didn't need a village, Rich and I had our home based interior decorating business so both girls were with me all day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I most definitely did *not* have a village. Except for my mom! When I was exhausted and couldn't take it anymore, she would say, "give him to me."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a village - other moms with kids the same age were my village. And sometimes total strangers who saw the kids having a tantrum would smile a knowing smile and I appreciated that too. - BTW - this is Elisa. The website wouldn’t take my url.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had 2 steps and it was an exhausting thankless job until they reached their thirties and began to realize how much it took to be even a part-time mom. Thank you for sharing your experiences, Tamara. And thank you to all who commented. I admire you all so much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.