Kids don’t seem to grasp the concept of being couch potatoes, reading books for hours and enjoying doing nothing.
This is why I sat down to put together a couple of ideas for you, i hope you like some of them:
Go to the Glatt Mall
- Enjoy the tube slide from Ochsner Sport all the way down to Starbucks
- If you're lucky, Mom will buy you a Frappuccino. Find out what other caffeine-free beverages there are!
- Have fun at Müsliburg (kids and parents need picture ID!)
- Explore the current Germany exhibition: Brandenburger Gate, Hamburg harbor, Bavarian Beer garden
Go to the Airport
- Spot departing and arriving planes from the observation deck. A special highlight is Singapore Airline's A380 around 11:35am
- Enjoy the covered outdoor playground, complete with a miniature aircraft
- Take the discovery tour: a coloring book guides you through interesting stations
- Do some people watching, it never gets old! Try to figure out what languages people are speaking
- Imagine being "trapped" at the airport (when you get home, watch "The Terminal")
Go to the Train Station
- Find out what destinations can be reached beyond Switzerland - you'll be surprised!
- How many train tracks are there? Don't forget the S-Bahn!
- At the main Kiosk look for newspapers that don't use our letters. Can you find an Arabic or a Russion one?
- If it's time for a treat find a Sprüngli store and find out what the Luxemburgerli flavor of the month is
Go to Globus
- What is their mascot called? Hint: it's a blue bird
- How many of this mascot's books have been translated into English?
Spend some time at Franz Carl Weber as long as it's still there!
- If it was your birthday today, what toy would you wish for?
- Do you dare sliding down through the dragon's mouth?
- Arrive at Orell Füssli Children's Books in the basement.
- Look for the Zürich Wimmelbuch. There is an assignment of finding the Zurich Lion and his friends on every page
- There is a giant puzzle on the wall where the escalator descends: how many pieces does it consist of?
Take a tram ride
- Hop on at Hauptbahnhof / Bahnhofstrasse, towards Bellevue (number 11 is perfect)
- How many colorful vs black umbrellas do you count?
- On your right hand side you will spot an African animal that is almost extinct. Which one is it? (Hint: in front of Koch Optik)
- From Bellevue ride towards Stauffacher. Get off at Sihlstrasse. On your left hand side there's Paddy Reailly's Pub. Go in and have a Guinness. Just kidding. There are six flags in front of the building. Which ones can you recognize?
- If you're a fan of the Züri Tram, check out the Tram Museum (only open on Wednesdays and Weekends)
This article was published in the May edition of ThisLife Magazin!