This is what you'll need as far as ingredients go:
Peel, core and chop 4-5 apples, add 3/4 cups of water and cook for about 20 minutes in a sauce pan, then mash with a fork if you like some texture, or use a blender.
If you have an oven steamer just put your apple chunks in a sieve and in an oven safe container and steam for about 20 minutes. The liquid that accumulates in that container is home made apple juice, how cool is that?
Butter your springform pan or use baking spray
Preheat your oven to 180°C / 350°F
- Cream butter and sugar together, add salt, then one egg at a time
- Add lemon zest, applesauce and ground hazelnut, mix until combined
- Add flour and baking powder
- Pour into springform pan, distribute evenly, using a spatula
- Arrange apple slices, sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mix
Bake for 45-50 minutes
Take out, let cool on wire rack
Here you can find Betty Bossi's original recipe in German, she makes it with pears.