20 Days of Chill - Explain your blog

Happy New Year!

New Year - new (writing) challenges! I decided to join A 'lil HooHaa's 20 Days of Chill!

I guess the "chill" refers to the temps, not the relaxing part. Wouldn't that be cool, though, retiring to a mountain cabin like the one I chose for my winter blog room and do nothing else but sleeping, eating and writing.




Starting today we are going to post about a preset, random topic every week day! 

Today's prompt is 


Explain your blog

Nice to meet you! I'm Tamara, aka Swiss part-time working (hockey) Mom! This is me with my 8yo son and hockey aficionado, Colin. He just got his very own brand new pair of skates, so he's happy. If he's happy, I'm happy.


If you want to get to know me better, check out my about page.

When I started this blog in June 2012, it was because I felt Facebook was not the right platform for capturing my life as a part-time working Mom. I wanted something less short-lived than one post in a million you quickly "like" and keep scrolling. 

Blog posts are just about right for my attention span. I used to read books as a teenager. Piles of them! I can't do that anymore. Too busy, too fidgety. 

When I first started blogging I thought this would be the first step, and I would move on to writing a novel. I actually started. On a backup hard drive there must be several chapters tucked away. I don't think I have it in me to revive them or start over, also I am not sure anybody would want to read a whole book, but I do enjoy to write. 

Through my blogger friend Karen at Baking in a Tornado I came across writing challenges like "Secret Subject Swap" and "Use Your Words" that I have been doing for three years now. I contributed to a bunch of progressive stories like "Sincerely Sarah", and I don't even remember how I found out about the annual A-Z Blogging Challenge, but this year will be my third time. As if this weren't enough I took it upon me to host the weekly Top Ten Thursday and to post for the monthly Photo Blog Challenge...

I guess it's safe to say that the writing challenges have taken over. During the past 6+ months there have been hardly any posts outside the challenges. I want to do more "free posts", but even if I go back to what I have been doing, I feel like I'm repeating myself: The occasional recipe, St. Patrick's Day, Colin's Birthday, Vacation, Ice Hockey, Halloween, Elf on the Shelf, Christmas...

I have always struggled to "explain my blog" because I don't have a specific niche. I am not a food blogger, I don't run a parenting site, I don't take enough trips to be a travel blogger (although I would like that!), a handful events does not a party planner make, my kid (luckily) doesn't suffer from a rare disease, although I am always looking to make life easier and more balanced I don't have the solution, and I am not handy enough to do "domestic makeovers" I just do a little bit of this and a little bit of that, and I take pictures. There. My blog explained.

Here's a review of my blogging in 2016. Highlights, achievements, the works.

Above all, blogging helps me to reflect on things, to daydream, to create, and to enjoy some quiet me-time. If you have been following me for a while you might have picked up on my craving for the "ultimate (hour of) freedom" that I use to enjoy coffee and get some writing done.




How can you follow me?

My blog - leave your e-mail address and get updates delivered to your inbox!
Bloglovin
Facebook
Google +
Instagram
Pinterest

I am looking forward to this month of chilling, I mean writing. Check back tomorrow when I will be talking about my little red wagon.
Also don't forget to visit my fellow blogger challengers here.

Comments