Letter R today is all about relaxing and recharging because we've earned a break from all the hard work we've been doing!
So let's grab a raspberry smoothie and sit back!
Recovering and refueling after working out is just as important as exercising.
Whatever you do or don't do: remember to breathe!!
Before you work out:
- Eat some high-quality protein and complex carbs like a greek yogurt with berries and oats or almonds.
- Wait an hour or so before you hit the gym, don't work out on a full stomach.
- There are some studies that claim caffeine intake 30 minutes before exercising helps to burn fat.
After you work out:
- Stretch and relieve those sore muscles from lactic acid.
- Re-hydrate! Replace lost fluids as you probably have been sweating a great deal! It goes without saying that your beverage should be plain water, not soda or beer.
- Enjoy your shower - if you can, alternate between hot and cold water to constrict and dilate bloods vessels which helps your system to get rid of waste products.
- If you have time, go for a swim and / or a massage.
- Have a snack that is high in protein and potassium (I like some wild salmon and edamame, but if you're into bananas, eggs and (lean) meat, go for it!)
- Don't go into hibernation, keep moving lightly, walk your dog / to the store, take the stairs, play soccer with the kids, it's called active recovery.
- Avoid alcohol because it forces your body to deal with getting rid of toxins instead of helping your muscles heal and grow.
- Reduce stress in your life to help your body (and mind) to bounce back faster.
- Sleep and give your body time to restore itself.
On a completely different note, I'd like to give a shout-out to Recipe Rehab!
It's a cool cooking show that "rehabs" people's favourite, yet unhealthy meals. My son and my favourite episodes are the following (spoiler alert, they are using some surprising ingredients like pumpkin, beetroot and cauliflower):
Alright. What do you think? Were any of the tips helpful for you? Would you make a rehabbed chocolate cake version?
Here's the link to the other Letter R Posts, and I am looking forward to seeing you back here tomorrow for S is for Superfoods vs Sugar!