Ultimate Blog Challenge - Day 10: Questions?



We have arrived at Day 10 of  the Ultimate Blog Challenge, and today's assignment is to get you guys to ask me questions.

Now sometimes asking a person you don't really know anything is hard because you have no point of reference.

How about I throw in some random facts that may spark new or follow-up questions?

Here goes:

Albert Einstein and I attended the same college, roughly 100 years apart. 

Einstein wasn't the only graduate who ended up winning the Nobel prize. There were two others, less popular, and one fine day, in chemistry class, our teacher mentioned how privileged we were to enjoy the same fine education as the three Nobel prize winners. 

I blurted out "yeah, who were the other two guys anyway, everybody just keeps talking about Einstein?"

You know what that teacher said to me?

"Well, I can tell you who won't be the fourth!!!"

How rude! 

Back then I didn't even realize that the teacher most probably didn't recall the other names and just wanted to cover his butt. 

I did what good students (because everybody can't become a Nobel prize winner, and that's OK) do and did my own research:

  • Paul Karrer found out stuff about vitamins. To be exact, he confirmed the structure of ascorbic acid, which is the fancy name for Vitamin C. More importantly he identified lactoflavin = Vitamin B2, it helps the body to convert food (carbohydrates) into fuel (glucose), which is used to produce energy
  • Werner Arber worked on enzymes that are a fundamental tool for many different types of biotechnology, including DNA sequencing and gene cloning.

For most people "99 - the great one" refers to Wayne Gretzky, and rightfully so. I have - .had - another person in my life who deserves that attribute. 



As a teenager, my sweet Grandma and her family left Nazi Germany and settled down in what was later going to become Israel. That's where she met my Grandpa whose job brought them to Switzerland in the late 1950s. My Mom and her younger brother attended school and pursued their life goals. 


Only a few months after turning 99, she sadly passed away. I so wished we could have celebrated 100 years with her! 


Did I mention we share the exact same birthday?






Even though I may be the only Swiss person, I love to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. 

When Colin was younger we would made crafts like these sneaky little leprechauns checking into a very special hotel and were up to a lot of mischief. 


So: Einstein, my Grandma and the Leprechauns. What does that make me..? 


You tell me. 


Actually you're supposed to ask me. Ask me a question in the comments below. I believe the chance of a blog prompt appearing in the near future telling us to actually answer these questions is pretty high!






Comments

  1. My gramma died shy of a few months from 100 too! How rude INDEED - that teacher didn't know you at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’re probably correct that the professor didn’t know the answer so his response was to cover himself. Good for you to research the answer. Which college did you go to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting, Tamara. I can claim Gretsky as belonging to us, Canada, though he lives in the U.S. My mom and dad are both 90 and my partner's mom is 98. I'm doing things backwards today, reading posts first. I'm a bit stuck.😫

    ReplyDelete
  4. So what did you study back then which helps you now most?My Q for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting tidbits. Were all of your grandparents alive during your life? I only had one alive, my mom's mom. The others had all passed before I was born. My mom is 98. We are thinking she will live to be at least 100 so we will have to throw a party for her. She likes being the center of attention - LOL.

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teachers don't like to feel dumb, just saying..............................
    Do you want to live to be 100..................................

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a self-proclaimed Americaphile - would you go as far as to swap Switzerland d for the US?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.