Ultimate Blog Challenge - Day 21: Pandemic

Photo by Daniels Joffe on Unsplash


Welcome back to another instalment of the Ultimate Blog Challenge! 

On Day 21, Paul - our host - dares us to talk about the pandemic. Do we think it is winding down? Is the Delta variant varianting? (I had no idea "to variant" was a term, and auto-correct turned it into"marinating" ;-) Should people get the vaccine / booster?

Whoa, I didn't think this challenge would take me there. In for a penny, in for a pound though. Here's what I think in a nutshell:

People are behaving as if the pandemic was winding down, simply because they're sick and tired of quarantining, wearing masks, working from home, being restricted in their social activities and what have you, and I get it. 

I want to go back to normal, too.

However, the pandemic is far from over. 

It would be over, if the numbers went down and remained at an insignificant level.


Chart: New York Times


Any four-year old will identify that the numbers are actually increasing, which was to be expected  because winter is coming in the northern hemisphere, and people are staying indoors, infecting each other.

In Switzerland, the vaccination rate appears to be stagnating at 65%.

Hospital capacities (ICU beds) are approaching their limits quickly, some non-Covid patients' treatments and surgeries need to be postponed indefinitely again, and our government ordered to extend the Covid certification obligation.




The Covid certification is proof of vaccination, recovery (going back no longer than six months) or a negative test result. During the summer months, you only need this certification for airlines, large events and night clubs. As of mid-September 2021, the certification requirement covers recreational sites, cultural activities and all kinds of eateries.


What's more, as of mid-October unvaccinated and asymptomatic people who choose to do a Covid test, have to pay for the expenses out of their own pockets. Until recently, these tests have been offered for free everywhere, which was very convenient. Sports venues would set up a testing tent in front of the entrance, and all you had to do was arrive early, get tested, and you were allowed to watch the game.


During all those months I never had to get tested, but I understand it's around 20 bucks. Meaning if you want to go out for dinner, you'll almost drop as much on the test as on your meal. On the plus side though, it's valid for 48 hours, so you may consider it a good return on investment after all as it allows you to hit the town all weekend long.


Of course anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers are throwing a hissy fit, claiming discrimination, a two-tier society, Corona Apartheid, "conditions like in the third Reich" even. 


I know, right? Don't blame me, just telling you what I hear and read.


They have taken the referendum (a democratic tool that is probably unique in Switzerland) against the March vote result in which the Covid law was passed. They loudly demand the immediate termination of all measures. 


So we will get to vote again by the end of this month. Tempers are running high. 

I recently mentioned how a stubborn restaurant owner, who was actively opposing to the rules, not only got himself arrested but had his establishment's license revoked.


Our neighbor country Austria imposed a hard lockdown as of mid-November, meaning that unvaccinated people will only be allowed to leave their homes for shopping for daily needs, for the way to work (where they must be vaccinated, recovered or tested), the doctor's visit or for a walk deemed necessary. What's more, Austria announced to introduce a national vaccine mandate as of early next year. Wow. How they want to legally enforce it, I don't know. I sure am glad I'm not an official who is caught in the middle of this.


Germany very well may be next. Already all the wonderful Christmas markets in Bavaria have been canceled - yet again. If they go into lockdown in December, retail is going to get hit hard - yet again.


So those who have been complying with every measure, will be punished - yet again. 
Maybe our Swiss fair weather citizens will recognize that our elected government doesn't determine measures out of sheer greed for power, but because they are fulfilling their duty to safeguard public health and economic recoveries.


On a more personal level: 
I'm vaccinated.


Did I do it lightly out of sheer joy? Because I enjoy needles so much? Or because I'll never miss a free meal  jab?
Certainly not. 


I did for my freedom to do the things I enjoy. At some point I want to be able to travel to North America again. I want to attend my son's hockey games. I want to go out and eat at restaurants. Self Interest.


I did it to be a part of the solution (as opposed to being a part of the problem). With my being vaccinated, I contribute to the greater cause, the cause being to increase the immunization rate, thus to reduce the spread of the virus and its mutations. Herd Immunity.


I did it to avoid infecting high-risk people who can't get the vaccine because they're allergic to one of the substances or because they're on blood thinners. Solidarity.


My side effects were not pleasant. In fact they knocked me down for three days. My conclusion: better to suffer for a few days from the jab than to get Covid and suffer for weeks, months even. Or die. 


I can't close this post on that note. So here's a little humor. I loosely translated a meme I found in German the other day. It made me chuckle. 

Photo by Danny Sleeuwenhoek on Unsplash


Care to weigh in on the vaccination discussion? If you are opposed to vaccinations for reasons other than medical contraindications: what are your suggestions on how to end the pandemic? I am genuinely curious.

More importantly though: Have you already had your winter tires mounted? 

Let me know below. Happy Sunday, be safe!

Comments

  1. Thank you for your explanation. For me to respond I would have to write a journal. As a certified health coach, there are numerous ways to build your immunity and I have been teaching this for close to 4 decades.

    I have not even had a cold or the flu in all those years and my children and grandchildren never got any jab of any description and never will.

    But I do respect each person's decision what they choose to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your news of Covid on your side of the pond. We rarely get any European or Asian news. We get alot about Donald Trump and USA. Personally I am vaccinated. Didn't have any side effects. The shingles vaccine was worse. And I'm one who doesn't get the flu shot and still hasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a well-thought out post. I have chosen to not enter this debate because it s too controversial and you’re not going to change anyone’s opinion on social media. So I do what I believe is right for me and I give others the right to make the same decision for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great informative post. Interestingly, I just released a book about my experience with the coronavirus pandemic, Coronavirus Reflections: Bitter or Bette? I invite the reader to read, reflect and respond to my experience. I already had my posts mapped out, so I don't read the suggested topics. I am vaccinated and I appreciate your inviting tone in your blog to have a dialogue about a touchy subject. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tamara, I agree with you on all points! Here in Canada, over 85% of the population is vaccinated, yet cases are increasing. Of course, the colder weather has a lot to do with it. My second jab made me ill too, but as you said, it was definitely worth doing! Hubby and I will be eligible for a booster come January, and we'll be getting them too. The anti-vaxxers' "Third Reich" rant really pisses me off, as a person of German heritage whose family suffered greatly under Hitler's regime. Nobody's getting gassed here, and they are only curtailing their own freedoms, which they claim to value so highly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an interesting post I found it really good, I am double vaxed but have family members who are anti-vax which I don't get

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are vaccinated and hubby and I got our boosters. Our eldest daughter refuses the vaccine. It was a source of frustration in our relationship until I told her that I was not going to feel guilty about not including her in family plans since she was making her choice not to get vaccinated despite all the science to the positive, including the fertility factor which is one of her big concerns along with the "Nazi" factor of having to show proof of vaccination to get into some places here. At the boutique yesterday everyone was wearing masks and while not always the most comfortable, especially when setting up my table, I felt "safe" the whole time. Nicely done post! I'm slacking!
    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.