Ultimate Blog Challenge - Day 28: Advice to my Teenage Self



On Day 28 of the Ultimate Blog Challenge, the question is "what advice would you give your younger self? If you could go back and let the teenage version of you know something that you know now, what would it be?"

To answer this question, let's hypothetically assume that my younger self will actually listen to my present self? 

If I remember correctly, at that age, I was confident that I knew best ;-)

Looking back though there seem to be two different younger versions of me:

The adolescent, 11 - 15yo or so, bright but insecure, wanting to fit in and eagerly willing to adapt in order to be considered cool and part of the clique. 

The young adult, 16+yo, beginning to find her own path, striving more than anything else, for independence from her strict parents' (Dad's) home and rules.  

I'd probably ask or tell them the following:

The kids you want to hang out with, what makes them attractive to you? Are they popular? Why? Are they particularly nice? Do you have common interests? (Ballet? Really?) If you found yourself needing hospital treatment for several months, would they come and visit you? Would they hold your seat until you came back?

Be aware not to lose your charming originality in order to be one of them. There's no need to imitate their handwriting and wear the exact same outfit. If they like you, they'll like you for who you are. I promise. 

Not every (childhood) friendship lasts a lifetime. 

One of them is going to be your bridesmaid! 



Another one, however, will take advantage of you, and it'll take quite some time until you'll recognize it and cut her off. Good for you for pulling the plug. It's all part of maturing. 

Channel her energy!

Don't waste your breath on what annoys you but you can't to anything about. 

Focus on your next steps. Have fun while working hard. 

You're building your base now, both academically and socially. I like how you're interacting with so many diverse people, keep that up! Actually try and spend a little more time with some of them, and a little less with that boyfriend of yours. Don't shoot the messenger, but the two of you will not last, and that's OK. There's other fish, blablabla. 

Wrapping up, here's some things I wish my parents told me or did back then:

I understand your taste in clothes differs from mine. I don't have what it takes to argue with you in the store. Here's some cash. I trust you to buy something I can live with and that brings your joy. 

We're glad you have decent friends. They're not doing alcohol or drugs, they're not inciting shady activities. Why don't you bring some of them along for dinner so we get to know them better. That way when you're asking to go to a party, we'll know who you're hanging out with. 

It's more important that you're not coming home alone at night than being here at 10pm sharp. Ride with your friends and be safe. We love you.

And with that, my friends, you got a glimpse into my youth. I turned OK though ;-)

What are things you'd tell your younger self? Let me know below.

Happy Sunday! I made some gingerbread, help yourself!


Comments

  1. Honestly, the main thing I would tell myself is to not lock in on a career quite so quickly -- decided to become a physician at age 11.

    I was really fortunate as a kid -- which is why my family says I couldn't write an autobiography -- it would be too boring! LOL My parents were really supportive, and I didn't like getting into trouble. I was in the popular crowd but also in the academic crowd. I had a fun life but as my son says, I didn't have many "stories". I am OK with that but it makes it difficult when competing with my husband who was a bit more reckless as a youth. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would tell myself to SAVE YOUR MONEY! I have lost track of my maid of honor, which makes me a little sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would tell myself to recognize some friends are for a short time and some for a life time. Lovely wedding photo. Enjoy growing up with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice! I actually can't think of anything I would do different. I met me now hubby on a blind date when I was 16 years old on Christmas day. We celebrated our 54th wedding anniversary the past July.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this and especially the part where you make suggestions for how your parents could have dealt with you then. That could be another prompt in itself.
    Great job, Tamara

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.