Ultimate Blog Challenge - Foreign Country without speaking native Language


Welcome back to the Ultimate Blog Challenge and happy Weekend!

Today's assignment is to share a photo or image that inspires me or that makes me laugh, and I'll do that.

Let's start with the one that gave me a chuckle:



In addition I picked another writing prompt over at Freewrite:

You’re in a foreign country and don’t speak the native language

This is a bit of a challenge in itself because I can't entirely speak from experience, and it's not because I haven't been traveling. Most people in the countries I have visited, speak English as their first or second language. 

See for yourself:



Growing up in Europe, you can't go through school without learning some foreign languages. When I was a kid, we started to learn French when we were 12, and English when we were 14. 

I took Italian as an optional free subject at 13, and Spanish at 16. 

This has been very useful in getting around and of course at work.

Switzerland is not only a tiny country whose economy is highly dependent on foreign trade, but it's also a tiny quadrilingual country: 

In the larger part of Switzerland  - about 63% - folks speak Swiss German. The Western part is the French speaking part, (check out Geneva, Lausanne, Montreuxalso called Romandie. About 23% of Swiss people speak French. 


What about the Italian speaking? They are an even smaller minority (8%). They know it and have accepted it. In addition to their Italian mother-tongue, they have learnt to fluently speak German or French or both and never complain. Hey, they got all the pasta and vino to enjoy the good life! 



There's some 5.5% left, in case you were counting. They are split between Rhaeto-Romanic or "Rumantsch" (0.5%), which is our fourth, very neglected national language, and 5% "other languages" like ex-yugoslav languages, spanish and portuguese. 

Or English ;-)

So while I have never encountered serious language problems while being abroad, I always make it a point to learn a few words of the local language, even if it's just to say good morning, please and thank you, and too order some food:

  • Godmorgen, jeg vil gerne have en kop kaffe. Tusind tak!
  • Bonjour, je voudrais un café. Merci beaucoup!
  • Καλημέρα, θα ήθελα έναν καφέ. Σας ευχαριστώ πολύ!
  • Buenos días, me gustaría tomar un café. ¡Muchas gracias!
  • Goedemorgen, ik wil graag een koffie. Dank je wel.
  • Buongiorno, vorrei un caffè. Grazie mille!

I think if I were to travel to countries that don't use our letters, like Greece (see above) Russia, Japan or Arabic Countries, things would become harder. A friend who felt nervous during a business trip in Tokyo, used to take pictures of the street name sign and the bus or underground station where his hotel was located to make sure he would find his way back. If he got lost, he took a cab and showed the driver the photo ;-) Clever!

In order to make this post more fun, here's a quiz for you!

Which cities or countries can you recognize in the following pictures? Let me know below. 














PS: I just noticed this is my 1,111th post. It'll be a while till we get to celebrate another blogversary!

Comments

  1. I so enjoyed your post and got a huge giggle from your Husband Day Care picture.
    I probably have some foreign language anxiety. I don't speak any other languages other than English. Not being able to effectively communicate when visiting another Country that doesn't speak English would indeed make me nervous. I'm a failure when it comes to naming the places in the pictures you shared, but I LOVED looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea to have a husband daycare centre! That was definitely good for a laugh. ☺ Fortunately, the Latin languages all have similarities, so you can sort of figure things out, if you speak at least one of them. One of my roommates in St. Gallen was a Rumantsch native-speaker. She also spoke German, for easier communications. I tried to learn Greek the first time we visited Greece in 2013, and, apart from a few words, failed miserably. Love the photos! Of course, I recognize the CN Tower in Toronto and the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego, as well as the Arc de Triomphe in Paris and Big Ben in London, England. I'm guessing the beautiful lake and mountain shot is Lake Louise in Banff, Alberta? Not sure about the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am terrible at recognizing the cities.

    I’ve been a non-native speaker in a foreign country and there were times that it was very challenging. Trying to diagnose patients when I could not understand what they were saying. Kind of scary but eventually I started to understand.
    Funny sign. 😊

    Laurie
    Ridge Haven Homestead .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that seagull is from San Francisco. I also recognize London with Big Ben and maybe the second one is France? The rest I am sad to say I don't know. I don't get out much. I also don't speak any other languages except for perhaps a little Spanish. The only Italian I know, because my dad used to say it, is "mangia stasita," meaning eat and shut-up. LOL Have a great rest of your weekend.
    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW CONGRATULATIONS on your 1,111 post! I love your photos and all the languages you know, that's awesome! I knew English LOL but did learn German in junior high and from my German grandfather. Pop is teaching Lia some easy Italian and Alex's friend is teaching her Spanish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the husband day care image. I learnt enough words/phrases to communicate when I was in Indonesia and Malaysia. Obviously we speak English here in Oz, although I suspect many people aren't sure of that when they hear our slang, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Your 1,111th Blog Anniversary. That is very impressive! I loved seeing the photos... Recognize Big Ben (lived in London for a couple of years, long ago)... Public Market Centre - I think is Pike Market... isn't that Seattle? The beautiful Lake view... maybe in Switzerland? Not sure of the others. You have travelled a lot! Enjoyed all the photos. Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pictures were beautiful but I'm afraid I can't name any of them...peut être L'arc de triomphe? mais je ne sais pas. That is probably the extent of my French.

    I really enjoyed the husband daycare sign. I wonder why I have never found a place like that?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.