Ultimate Blog Challenge - Snow Day


Welcome back to the Ultimate Blog Challenge. 

We have a big day ahead of us. Colin and his team are playing another game in the Italian speaking part of Switzerland, meaning we'll be out and about pretty much all day long.

Meaning I can't wait for today's prompt and create a brand new post.

Instead allow me to share a day that goes back pretty much one year from today. 

Early in the morning there was so much snow I decided it was wise to leave my car at home and walk to the office. Luckily, under "normal" circumstances it's only a 12 minutes' walk. 





It was snowing heavily though, and I didn't take the main road, meaning I tried to walk on unplowed territory.

I was carrying an umbrella, plus I stopped at every corner to take pictures... so it took about twice the time. 




This is one of the bus stops along the way. Usually there's commuters sitting on these benches, waiting for the bus. I can't remember if the bus ever made its way through while I was walking. Probably not.



When I arrived, I spotted a car with the hazard lights on, blocking the road. Poor guy, I thought. Glad it's not me though. As I got closer I realized the guy was my coworker, and it wasn't like his car had broken down - there was no chance for him to park said car.

Two years ago the person who previously took care of "second priority" early morning winter maintenance for our village, quit, and I had spent quite some time to find a replacement. Where were they when we needed them? 

With second priority I mean we do have a community worker who plows the main roads. Where does the snow go that he removes from the lanes? Into people's private or corporate driveways and sidewalks. So individuals have to take care of their own snow. 

I said to my coworker "we do have shovels in the basement, you just need to clean a narrow path for me to get into the building, and I'll get them." 

How was he supposed to do so, I didn't care. To my surprise he opened the trunk of his car and removed a shovel. He had a good laugh and pointed out that he had to get his car snow-free at home somehow! 

True. Very foresightful of him to keep it in the trunk!





Whose car is this, sitting there stuck in the snow, you ask? My husband's. It lives there. He likes to walk to and from the office on most days. Plus he does not have his stall at home anymore.

We shovelled for over half an hour just so he and another coworker were going to be able to park their car. In the meantime I was ready for another shower. Talking about being knee-deep in snow, right? A while later hubby showed up as well and took over from me so I could go inside and answer the phone.



PS: the guy who was supposed to plow our driveway? He was stuck en route due to fallen trees. He arrived at 8:45am, apologized and did a great job cleaning our parking lot. 

Later this afternoon I had to take Colin and his teammate who lives a few towns away to hockey practice. Hubby let me borrow his station wagon. This is what the navigation system said. Looks like every possible road was blocked? Huh? Where was I supposed to go?





While I worried about getting the guys to the arena in time, my Mom had a fabulous time taking snow shots of our local castle.




The road I was supposed to take was indeed closed. As it later turned out, trees at fallen onto the lane, and it took a good while for people to get there and remove them.




The trains did not have any problems getting through! We saw them passing multiple times while sitting in traffic jam as the clock was ticking. 




I had to call the the other boy's Mom and tell her I was not going to make it to their home. Luckily they live beyond the fallen trees, and she had no trouble getting out of their village and take her son to practice while we took an alternate route and arrived almost simultaneously.

I took him home after practice, and look how pretty that snow-covered bridge looked in their neighborhood!



I hope you enjoyed spending this snow day with me - from the comfort of your house!

Do you experience heavy snow where you live? Do you love or hate it? Let me know.



Comments

  1. I love snow so much! I was blessed this winter Holliday with a trip in a very snowy area! The photos by the night are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those photos! I am jealous of all the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Local castle": love that you can say that! We haven't had a real snow in two years here in South Carolina; I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful photos and what a story! Love the castle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, such beautiful scenery! I love the tree with the lights on in the first picture and the castle! I cannot even imagine having to deal with all that snow. Thanks so much for sharing it with us as I sit here at the computer with a heater next to me!

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, what a day, lol. I live here in CO and we have a few snow days like that here once in a while but not very often. Thankfully. However, it does make for some amazing pictures. Love the one of the bridge and the castle the most. Breathtaking. Hope it's not bad this year. Stay warm :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love your photos!
    Enjoyed your day, too!
    Imagine having a local castle!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Stay warm!
    Laurie
    Ridge Haven Homestead

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty in white! Beautiful photos, Tamara. Looks like my neck of the woods. We've had quite a bit of snow this winter and cold temperatures. We had a huge dump November 2020 which prompted me to take up cross country skiing. And we had a huge one in 2007 which stopped all traffic including city buses. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saskatchewan_blizzard_of_2007

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is a LOT of snow! We do get snowfalls like that sometimes, but not as frequently in recent years and not much so far, this season. Your photos are fabulous, as always!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.