Ultimate Blog Challenge - When Harry met Sally

Source



Welcome back to the Ultimate Blog Challenge and happy Friday!

Today's assignment is a Book or Movie Review.

It's supposed to be a recent movie. Just the other day I did a review about the new Bond, which I was not impressed about, so can we please talk about my favorite movie of all times?

If you have been following me for a while, you know it is When Harry met Sally






Remember the adorable stories older couple tell in the intro? 


The best part? I always assumed they were made up, but they're actually true. Just like this we're leaving fiction and go to real life. Because, as we know, life writes the best stories.


Nora Ephron based these stories on interviews she actually conducted with couples she knew, and then scripted them to be performed by actors. 


Man with German accent: I was sitting with my friend Arthur Kornblum in a restaurant. It was a Horn & Hardart cafeteria, and this beautiful girl walked in, and I turned to Arthur, and I said "Arthur, you see that girl? I am going to marry her", and two weeks later we were married, and it's over fifty years later, and we are still married. 


His wife just sits there, nods, smiles and pats his arm.




If you haven't watched it, and you're not willing to catch up and do so, I'm not sure if we can still be friends.Wikipedia has an article where you may read the plot summary.


What I am going to do is share my list of ten things that make me wonder...

  1. If Sally and Amanda are such good friends, why doesn't Sally even get out of her car to hug her friend goodbye? After all she's moving to New York City, leaving her best friend behind?
  2. Sally, organized as she is, brought a map and figured out after how many hours / miles they should take breaks and switch places. She said it was an 18 hours' trip. Now I don't know if between the late 1970s and today they built any new Interstates or if traffic actually decreased (haha), but today, Google Maps says, you may get from Chicago to NYC in less than 12 hours. 790 miles on I-90 and I-80, voilà!
  3. I took the time to actually write down Sally's Apple Pie à la Mode order: This is her first choice: Heated pie, strawberry ice cream, fresh whipped cream. Second choice: pie, not heated, plain. I pasted the video clip below.
  4. Harry moved to NYC and he brought a large-ish bag, a duffel bag and his baseball bat! Guys?!?!?
  5. Of the businesses occurring in the movie some currently still exist: United Airlines, New York Magazine, Katz's Delicatessen while others didn't make it: the Sharper Image (no more retail stores), Shakespeare & Co. I understand their closing the store after a Barnes and Noble opened nearby, inspired Nora Ephron for her next movie "You've got Mail". (there is still a store at a different location)
  6. "The clock doesn't really start to tick until you're 36" - well, don't kid yourself now. The first couple of articles Google came up with are talking about women's fertility peaking at their mid twenties. Sorry, Sally. I experienced first hand that trying to conceive in my mid thirties was no walk in the park.
  7. I was wondering who actually played against the New York Giants while Harry told his friend Jesse about Helen's moving out, thank God for my friend Eli who knew right away: "Those are the Detroit Lions."
  8. Harry likes his coffee "industrial strength" while Sally's at-the time boyfriend Julian asked for decaf. (Pictionary scene) Doesn't that speak volumes about what kind of guys they are? People and their coffee might be a blog post for me to write one day.
  9. "I'll have what she was having" the lady at the Deli is producer Rob Reiner's Mom. I understand the Katz team put up a plaque above the table where the fake orgasm scene was being filmed.
  10. Two things I don't get even after watching the movie for the gazillionth time: a) why is Sally wearing a black dress to her friend's wedding and b) why does Harry think Sally is "the dog"?



When Harry met Sally:  Apple Pie à la Mode





Your turn now: Any recent movies worth mentioning? What's your favorite movie? 
Let me know.

Comments

  1. Oh, your wonders makes me want to watch the movie. Yes, that's right, I've never seen it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my list to watch now! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't watched "When Harry Met Sally" in a while. My hubby got me to watch it when we first met.

    The last movie I watched was The Matrix Resurrections. It's not as good as The Matrix.

    One of my favorite movies remains "Die Hard" or perhaps "Speed". There's a theme there! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. That trip from Chicago to New York - you didn't factor in traffic, nor the fact that roads were under construction then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Romantic love just doesn’t do it for me. When Harry Met Sally is a good movie, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tamara, you have a good memory and eye for details. I've seen the movie a long time ago. I enjoyed romances and Meg Ryan back then. I'm getting back to them now. I really enjoyed Our Souls at night with Jane Fonda and Robert Redford. An old favourite is The Way We Were with Redford and Streisand. Then there's Marjorie Morningstar with Natalie Wood. Now that's really old. Loved the book, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.