UBC Motherhood - Pregnancy



Welcome back and happy Independence Day!

I appreciate your still visiting my blog. I know I kind of left you hanging yesterday. Here's how things went down:

My acupuncturist took my pulse. She grabbed my face with both her hands and looked me in the eyes:

"Young Lady, is there anything you'd like to tell me???"

She had noticed. Plus she told me it was a boy.

OK. You sure? Really? How can you tell?

I remembered with horror that the previous week I had drunk wine and eaten cheese made from raw milk.

"That's OK. Just abandon both from now on. Also no more sushi for a while, and reduce that caffeine intake of yours, OK, sweetie?"

Anything for my baby. I was motivated to do everything by the book. Plus I was feeling slightly sick anyway, Eating wasn't on my priority list. 

Feeling nauseous turned into a winter flu with high fever, and I panicked. It was "sports week", a two weeks' school break in late January / early February where regular people go skiing in the mountains. It's also when seemingly every doctor does exactly the same, too. 

I called several doctor's offices. Their answering machine told me they were on vacation, kindly call the following number, just the doctor at the following number was out of office as well.

I ended up at the substitute's substitute's substitute, and they told me I needed to lower that fever without taking meds. Haha, good one. 

"High body temperature, hot food and any kind of contraction may expel the little guy. Go home, drink warm-ish tea, sleep it off."

I was so nervous back then. Imagine, I finally managed to get pregnant and may lose it during the first few weeks? The anxiety and superstition pretty much remained throughout the entire time, even though after the first milestone (first trimester) I allowed myself to relax. A little bit.

So much so that we went on vacation. We called it the Goodbye Tour. We figured with a new baby we'd probably not be able to take road trips throughout North America for a couple of years. 

Everything went well.

Upon my next doctor's visit it was strongly recommeded to wear compression stockings in order to support strained veins. It was summer, and it felt very restricting, but hey, as I said earlier: anything for my baby.

Next thing I knew I had to be tested for gestational diabetes. The results were "borderline", and I was given a tiny device, almost like a stapler and some test strips.

For the life of me I could not prick myself with that little gizmo. I asked a coworker to help me. We retreated to the ladies' room like school girls. I explained what she was supposed to do, closed my eyes and waited. I felt a poke, and I opened my eyes. There was no blood whatsoever. 

She offered to try my other hand. 

*Sigh* Anything for my baby.

Something must have been wrong with my fingertips. 

The gyno said, it's OK. Just limit your carbs, especially sugar, and even fructose.

The good news was: while in my regular life I have a distinct sweet tooth, I didn't crave chocolate and desserts during pregnancy, which I was super glad about.

The bad news was: there was still the last trimester to go, and salads were getting old.

Around week 34/35 I encountered a new challenge. My bump wasn't a bump anymore, it was a huge water melon, and it got in my way while driving. See I am short. Meaning, my car seat has to be adjusted almost in the first position so my feet can reach the pedals.

Because of my big belly I had to push the seat back, and from now on I could only operate the gas and brake with the tip of my foot. Sounds acrobatic? I managed, but the whole commute was getting strenuous. 

I got a doctor's note that said I could go to the office only every other day and / or I should work from home. I did a little bit of both, and immediately I had to learn to let go.

Me, the workaholic, the person who likes to be in charge and oversee everything, was stuck at home, pushing papers.

Well, if I was going to be a stay at home Mom, I had to get used to it sooner or later.

On September 9, my oversized belly and I made our way to the nearest Starbucks, which was my employer. The office was 52 km (32 miles) away; the closest store 12 km (7.5 miles) to meet my boss and my successor. I had finished almost all pending projects, so the handover was a matter of minutes, and I was free!

On September 12, hubby and I found ourselves at the very same Starbucks, eating cinnamon rolls. We were on our way home from the hospital where we learned that my "contractions" were false alarm. I had read somewhere that cinnamon may help induce labor. I thought it was worth a try (and an exception to the no sugar rule.)



I also drank raspberry leaf tea, which was supposed to help speed things along as well.

You can tell, I was getting desperate. 

On September 16, around 8pm my contractions started.

Yes, you have to wait until tomorrow, just like we had to back then! In the meantime, let me know what cravings and complications you had back then.


Comments

  1. I like that mantra, “anything for the baby”. I think that thought is never far away even after they grow up. My children are 37 and 33.

    I had gestational diabetes. Back in the day, I was given the choice to either take insulin or watch my diet and go for weekly blood tests. I was so worried about the potential risks for the baby.

    Looking forward to tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I'm right there with you, it's so excited! I'll be back tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your words took me back to my own pregnancies, and the fears faced and lessons learnd from them. Looking forward to reading the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't say I know how you felt... BuUt I don't think I would like giving up all those pleasures! Sure, if I had too... or would I?!?!?

    I will be back to see how this cliff-hanger resolves!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had cravings for Juicy Juice, which disappeared right after I gave birth

    ReplyDelete
  6. My middle child started her entry on my birthday- but took 4 days to complete her journey on the 13th. Looking forward to the birth story from the 16th.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was never able to get pregnant so I understand your concerns. (I ended up being happy as is, so it's all good.) Your writing makes me think that you would enjoy sharing your stories in writing classes at Writers and Books. I'll send you the link.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some babies take ages to be born others not so much being a stay at home mum was all I ever wanted

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had gestational diabetes too. With my first I craved herring in sour cream. With my second it was pears.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.