How to get in the Holiday Spirit



My dear friend B sent me a message that said


Tomorrow is our soup kitchen, and I'm short on volunteers. Sigh. 

I am not ready for Christmas.

How can I get in the holiday spirit?


Oh, I hear you, and while I can totally relate, I feel I am a tiny bit better off than you, so I take it upon myself to create a list on how to get in the Holiday Spirit.

It's Wednesday night, December 21. About time for the fuzzy feeling to kick in, right? Instead we're running around, trying to get everything done and make everybody happy - except ourselves.

Step one:

Make coffee. Or tea, up to you. It shouldn't be too hard to find a piece of cake or a few cookies, too. Light a candle. Sit down. Breathe.



OK. Better?

Shall we talk about what the "Holiday Spirit" is (supposed to be) at all?

When I read you're working at the soup kitchen, I say, you're going to get as close as you possibly can. I mean what better way than to volunteer to get to appreciate what you have and looking forward to celebrating with your loved ones?

Christmas, New Year's Eve, Anniversaries and Birthdays come with such high expectations, don't you think?

Everything has to be perfect. A clean and tidy house or a unique location, original decoration, fancy clothes, exquisite food,  cool gifts...

This year - due to my working full time to cover for my coworker who's recovering from her surgery - I don't have time to do a lot of things I usually do every December: baking, decorating, crafting, hosting visitors at the village advent calendar, etc. etc. 

I pledged to still keep my spirits high and to look for the positive things. The little things, you know. 

And guess what, it's hard. I want to whine and complain, but frankly, what will change? Nothing, except my mood will be bad. I can't have that. 

I have pulled myself together to get out of the house to go see the Harley Santas, and I'm so glad I dit. I ended up discovering this adorable "Christmas Alley" with all the food stands.




By pure coincidence we ended up strolling through a Christmas market when one hockey game was canceled, but Colin got assigned to play with another team. In between dropping him off and the start of the game we found ourselves at a Christmas market I didn't even know existed. I even found the Holiday socks I he needed.

And I think, most importantly I stopped to smell the gingerbread. Did you know that's the winter version of smelling the roses?

I stopped while driving because I saw something cool. I was busy, and I needed to get places, but what difference does it make if I arrive two minutes later? If the benefit is a smile on my face?

I stopped to take a picture of the lovely snowman some kids built in the next town.

I stopped to admire the Christmas lights in my very neighborhood. So pretty! 

So what are my tips for you, besides having coffee?

Is there a Christmas Tree farm nearby? Regardless if you already have tree, I say, go there. There's probably gingerbread and pretty lights?



Get yourself a poinsettia! They're bright and pretty and are supposed to make you smile!

Decorate your desk area at work. Just a little bit. Or go overboard. Your choice!



Use a tinsel pen for everything you have to sign. How fun!

Drive to a neighborhood you've never been to. Chances are you'll see nicely decorated houses.

Make yourself a tiny little Winter Wonderland of your own. In a jar.



If there's time to bake, make something. The heavenly smell will do you good. 

Lastly, and this is a total no brainer: listen to your favourite Christmas songs. 

I hope this helps. If not for the Holiday Spirits, then at least a little smile on your face?


Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.