Time for a Change?



Sometimes it helps to write things down in order to get clarity.

I hope this is one of these times. Here's the situation:

I've been going to the same hair stylist for just about ten years. I mentioned her and the salon several times over the years, like when they had an unlikely trainee. 

She is an elementary school classmate's daughter, a very sweet and competent young lady. Unfortunately she's been on sick leave for half a year now. In the meantime her Mom did my hair. I have highlights. The Mom does not like to do them (her daughter told me this a while ago), and unfortunately it shows. 

Still I have been bitting the bullet every six weeks, each time hoping the daughter was back.

Colin does not like to have his hair cut, but he's OK about joining me there, respectively, we need a separate appointment for him.

Today he had one. 

At 3pm.

When we entered the salon, the Mom greeted us, slightly reproachfully. 

"I've been waiting for you guys for half an hour" she said.

What?

Turns out her calendar said we were supposed to be there at 2:30.

There was a bit of a back and forth, since my calendar said 3, and here we were, on the dot!

Why didn't you call when we weren't here at 2:30? You know I'm always on time, and if I am not, I will call?

"We tend to wait for about 20 minutes, and then we figure people forgot about the appointment."

That's a bit lame.

So can you still squeeze us in? It usually takes what - ten to fifteen minutes?

"I'm afraid not. My 3 o'clock will be here any minute."

You made us come here for nothing? That's unfortunate!

"Yeah, I'm sorry about it, but I really can't - here she comes. You still have your own appointment tomorrow. It's at 3pm."

Right.

We left. I was very annoyed.

I took time off work to take my teenage son, who doesn't want a haircut anyway, to the one hairdresser he accepts, and now it isn't happening.

I suggested to go to a walk-in salon at the mall instead, but of course he refused.

Too bad. I haven't been to the mall in forever!

So we drove back. It's a 25 minutes' trip each way. I felt like this past hour was the worst spent time of my life. I hate to be unproductive. It's not that I have a bunch of extra time on my hands. I really don't. And if I had I would certainly not use it to drive around in rainy weather for an appointment that isn't going to happen.

So here's my dilemma:

  • I don't feel like going back there, especially not tomorrow. 
  • I don't know whether the daughter is back from her sick leave. I sent a text to the Mom to ask, but she hasn't gotten back to me. 
  • I don't know any other hairdresser with a good reputation for highlights in my area. Especially none that has an open appointment tomorrow at 3pm, because that's when - again - I took time off work. 

So I posted on the appropriate Facebook Mommy group, and random recommendations started to come in. 

Before I followed any of those leads, my former classmate texted back "no, I'm sorry, not yet."

Her daughter was still not healthy enough to work. This made my decision easier, and I canceled the appointment. 

Next step, I called one of the recommendations. The lady sounded nice, and she can squeeze me in this coming Monday afternoon.

Colin is in no hurry to have his hair cut and will try out the local men's salon where his teenage friends are customers. Seems like yesterday that we went to the kids' place. Young customers got to ride a bobby car while watching a movie - giving the hairdresser an opportunity to work in peace.



Just like that I may have closed a door. This is a bit unlike me, I'm usually overly loyal and understanding, but sometimes it's time for a change.

The picture at the very beginning of this post will serve as the before photo, dark roots and all. Keep your eyes open for a follow up post featuring the "after" photo next week!



Comments

  1. Good for you, for taking a stand! That woman was pretty rude. Here's hoping your new hairdresser will be a keeper.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.