Keys


Photo by Julia Kuzenkov on Pexels


Today's story takes us to Miami, Florida. in the late 1990s. This is important information. 

We were just about to return our rental car at the airport.

My travel companion had to catch a flight and therefore didn't have much time to spare because we experienced much more traffic getting to the airport than we had anticipated. 

I was going to pick up a new, smaller, rental car, to continue my adventure.

Growing up, my father drilled the following into us forever: Upon getting out of the car, every family member was responsible for locking their door by pushing down the knob that sticks up out of the top of the door.

That's what I did on that particular morning at Miami International Airport: 

Push down and slam the door shut.

Unlike my Dad's car that required every door to get locked individually, this particular rental car had central locking. Not only did I lock the passenger and the driver door, but also the trunk containing our bags.

This wouldn't have been particularly bad if the driver had taken the car keys out.

However, this being a rental car drop, my friend left them in. After all that's where it belonged, as per car rental companies' drop off instructions: refill fuel, leave keys in the car,...

Sh**

I had locked in the keys and our bags.

Photo by Ivan Shemereko on Unsplash


Everybody became agitated and nervous.

"I have to catch my flight, I have an appointment in the afternoon."

"No sweat. This is the rental car place. Surely they have spare keys."

The agent nodded and said this would usually be the case. This car, however, did not belong to this location. It had originally been rented in New York, and that's where any spare keys were going to be stored. 

The manager was called. He scratched his head and mumbled something about protocol and calling a professional locksmith.

Sh**

This sounded time consuming and expensive.

"Still, they are a car rental car place for Christ's sake. They know their way around cars. How hard could it be to open a locked car? Thieves do it within a few seconds?"

Nobody wanted to admit they were familiar with such techniques.

"Come on guys, I saw this on TV, you may use a coat hanger or a ruler,..."

I wished I had paid more attention when this was on TV. Now that I was in the situation myself, I did not feel comfortable doing the procedure myself.

This has been a long time ago. I don't remember the specifics. A crowd was gathering. More agents and a few fellow tourists were standing around the car, and somebody somehow managed to get it open. 

My friend grabbed the bags and ran to catch the airport shuttle that was just about to leave. I was in no hurry. I thanked everybody who helped, gave the agent a tip and waited for the next shuttle.

To this day I would always, always check that the car keys were outside the car when locking the door, and I can confidently say that I have never had a a similar situation.

Of course following me throughout this month's episodes you know that a lot of other sh** happened. Not a locked in key, though.

How about you? Lost a key? Locked in a key? Ate a key? Just kidding. 



Comments

  1. Yes, Tamara, I've locked my keys in my car (once at a gas station) and had to have strangers open the door for me, locked myself out of my house and had to climb in through a slightly opened window. I've had many key adventures. You story brought reminiscing and laughter. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've locked my keys in the car! Today -- thank goodness -- I have a car with a fob that won't let you lock the driver's side using the button on the door. You must lock it with the fob. Good thing too, as this was a used car when we purchased it, and we only got one car fob!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lost keys, actually I have lost keys one day...at the beach where I worked, I they must have fallen out of my pocket, Never found, I ended up calling my parents to help me get my Jeep started with spare keys and all. I rarely lose things but when it happens it really upsets me. Especially since my grandfather was a locksmith back in the day! So lost keys- sshhh.....we don't mention that in my family! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have lost keys -- most of the time temporarily. I did manage to lose them once for good. Luckily, we had spare keys. So we went off and made (expensive) copies of the car key with some computer chip in it. Note to self: Don't do that again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I have locked my keys several times in my car, once while it was still running and over 100 degrees outside. Thankfully, I have AAA that helps me with lockouts. However, I realized that I have keyless entry on my car 10 years after I bought it and never programmed the code. After my third lockout in a year and used up all my AAA coverage, I finally managed to program the keyless entry code. I will now always get a car with that option as it is a life and moneysaver! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son ate a key - yup! He was about two and was laying down playing with some old keys on a chain. The chain came undone and he swallowed a key. The xray at the ER proved it. Yup, had to check for it until it passed. Sigh..kids.

    Donna McNicol - My A to Z Blogs
    DB McNicol - Small Delights, Simple Pleasures, and Significant Memories
    My Snap Memories - My Life in Black & White

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always afraid I will do that! With our car now it beeps when we leave the keys anywhere in the car and you can't lock it with them in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL nowadays the cars I've had won't lock if the keys are in them. We did have a key incident though. It was actually on our wedding day. I was with my maid of honor waiting at the spot we were getting married in Lake Tahoe and my husband locked the keys in the trunk at the motel. Back in 1984 there were no cell phones so he couldn't call and let me know what was happening. I almost thought he had cold feet. He had to wait for AAA to come and open the trunk. We got married about an hour later than we were going to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a friend who was always locking her keys in her old car. Eventually, she hid a magnet with a spare key on the car. Which was fine, until she locked that in the car too.


    I'm focused on the April #AtoZChallenge.
    Proof of Existence, book two in my dark urban fantasy series, is out this month.
    I'm running a giveaway on my blog.

    J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Reference& Speculative Fiction Author, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, and Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband is famous for looking the keys in cars but thank the LORD he also knows how to get them out.. I am so sorry you had to go through this but at least people came to help you which might not happen in this day and time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes Tamara - been there done that - more than once - coat-hangers, the Automobile Association lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh. When I first lived away from home I had to retrench my thinking. I'd always lived on a ranch 20 miles from town where, not only were the cars not locked, the keys were in them. Now I was in the big city where locking was definitely indicated. Removal of keys was, sadly, secondary. I got so I could open that car as quickly with a coat hanger as with the key! - Diane Tolley

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.