Yucca Harrimaniae

Almost done with the writing challenge. I realize that the majority of my (travel) fails could be resolved with a little time and/or money. Today's post is different. This time we involuntarily risked our health.

We have been to Arches N.P. a total of three times. Let me tell you about the first one. We had visited a number of other national parks before so we knew that you don't have to hike in order to see the beauty of those national parks. Perfectly paved roads will usually take you directly to conveniently located vista point turnouts.

Well, following the sign that said Delicate Arch brought us to a large parking lot - from where you could see... nothing!?! 

Of wait, there, in the distance! Whaaaaaat? This can't be right! There was a sign telling people it was a 45 minutes' strenuous hike to get up and close with the Delicate Arch. 

I was wearing flip-flops, but hey, we're Swiss, we practically invented the mountains, how strenuous could it be, right?

After the first five minutes I had to admit that I wanted to turn around and put on sneakers. Also we dug out hats, and off we went, carrying the one bottled water we got as a welcome gift at the hote reception last nightl. 

Now if you've been to Utah you know that there are a lot of rocks and not a lot of trees, and as soon as the clouds disappear, you are mercilessly exposed to the sun. And let me tell you, Swiss or not, the hike is not only pretty steep, after a while there isn't even a trail anymore. 





You just find your way following other people or rock marks.



Getting closer to the Delicate Arch there is a very narrow passage that requires you not to be afraid of heights because there is a ledge you need to traverse, which is only about 3-4 feet wide, and the more people you share the two-way foot traffic with, the more difficult it gets.

To get directly underneath the Arch you have to keep going and walk around the huge bowl which slants toward a 400 foot drop-off, and depending on the weather, the wind can become pretty strong up there. So be safe!




As for me, I was exhausted. Breakfast had been a couple of hours ago, and all I had in my purse was a Tic Tac container. It was by far the worst travel fail in terms of our own health. The bottled water was long gone, and I felt dizzy and weak. 



The worst part was knowing that what goes up must come down. I needed to make my way back to the parking lot. My motivation was that I had seen restrooms by the parking lot. This was where I was going to refill my water bottle!

You know what? 

The bathroom? 

Pit toilets with no water, not to flush, not to wash your hands, and it goes without saying, not to refill your water bottle. 

So while hubby stopped a couple of times to take breathtakingly beautiful pictures, I barely held on in my passenger seat until we made it back into town to raid the supermarket.





The next time - years later - we visited Arches N.P. we came prepared. Hiking shoes, hats, lots of water, snacks, check. 





PS: Today's post was titled Yucca Harrimaniae. It's a plant native to Arches National Park and the general area. I don't think I specifically saw one. Then again who knew I was going to be desperate for a letter Y word one day? I haven't specifically mentioned it, but these April posts are some sort of a code share thing. I participate in the A - Z Blogging Challenge., as well as in the Ultimate Blogging Challenge. 

So tell me, have you been as careless as to go hiking without proper equipment? Did you get lost? How did things turn out?





Comments

  1. I don't hike but I have gone on road trips where I wish I had remembered to bring more water/snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures! I'm not a hiker but love hearing about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not gone on a hike in flip flops that is for sure. Have I even gone on a real hike? I doubt it. I used to walk a lot though and always wore walking shoes. I didn't realize that after years of wear they were no longer good for your feet. And have bad feet today because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful area! We were in NC mountains going to see Clingman's Dome, a beautiful place almost in the clouds. We didn't realize it was a "short" walk to the Dome, so we went for it. A few minutes into our walk things changed. The hike up wasn't a slow incline, it was straight up! We didn't take any water because we didn't realize how long or how high up it was! But we made it and it was well worth almost dying for! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't hike. However, my husband keeps trying to convince me to hike Kilimanjaro next time we go to Kenya. I am sending my son in my place.

    I do enjoy your stories about your travels!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.