Where do you want to go



Welcome back to another episode of A'lil Hoohaa's monthly photo blogging challenge. 

Our prompt for the month of June was to "Where do you want to go", and this is such an open question that may apply to aspects like professionally, in terms of travel, your health or life goals in general. Just how to document this in photos?

For some reason I craved snow-covered mountains, and coincidence had it that Colin's class went on a field trip on a gorgeous Monday, so off I went as well!

First stop Adelboden, one of the traditional Bernese Highland villages that is based on chalet settings. While it's probably more popular as a ski resort, it's just as pretty during summer.

Just some 15 minutes outside of this small town you'll find yourself at the Engstligenalp valley station, right next to the Engstligen Falls, where Adelboden's largest cascades plunge 600 meters (almost 2,000 feet), making it one of the highest waterfalls in Switzerland.



It looks a bit small, so here's a bonus picture: closeup of the waterfall:



Even though there's a lot of water coming down, this is what the creek looks down in the valley:



In only ten minutes a gondola will take you to the plateau at almost 2,000 meters (6,500 feet) , and boom, here are the peaks I've been wanting to see!



What's this sculpture about? I learned that the mountain hearts - there are several spread around the Alps - are there to help make your wishes come true. How? You write your wish onto a ribbon and attach it to the heart. Good to know for another time!



I was not done for the day. There was another bucket list item about a 45 minutes' drive and 10 minutes' gondola ride away: Oeschinensee in the Bernese Highlands. 

The lake was formed by several landslides of the flanks of two mountains. In the process, the broken-off debris masses formed a natural dam. The rock material is still permeable to water today, which is why the Oeschinensee is drained underground. Since 2007, the lake has been part of the extended UNESCO World Natural Heritage Site Swiss Alps Jungfrau-Aletsch





If you had told me in my 20s that one day I would day a trip to the mountains on my own I would have laughed at you. Me, the city girl? Not a chance.


I will say that living in (gorgeous) Southern California for a while has taught me to appreciate my country and the changing of the seasons more! This week I saw the first pumpkin picture on social media. It was titled "too soon?" Ahem, yes!!!


That's it for today. Please check out my fellow bloggers' contributions over at A'lil Hoohaa's





PS: In the back of my mind I felt like we've had this prompt before. Sure enough, check this out: Where will you go? The post involves a suggestion on how to make a trip to the hospital for a Covid test more pleasant: By setting up a Taco Truck on the premises.





Comments

  1. Thanks for the tour. Such fabulous scenery! 😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. We live in such a beautiful world! Who wouldn't want to go see these sights?! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredibly gorgeous set of photos. Every one was better than the next one, but I think my favorite is the river shot. Living in Southern California, I don't get to see many rivers like that, so I'm always drawn to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many similarities to our UNESCO World Heritage Site Canadian Rocky Mountain National Parks...the waterfall, gondolas to mountain tops, turquoise rivers and lakes. But taking in your beautiful photos, I think we need to adopt two practices here: 1) more flagpoles flying the maple leaf; and 2) something similar to the heart frames. Or maybe not the heart frames, on second thought...if the ribbons are left until they basically rot away in the weather and UV, that's not good for the environment. And if they're taken down by parks personnel before that happens (kind of like the locksmiths who have to take all the locks off the bridge in Paris), that's not an ideal use of time either. Still, tying a ribbon onto a heart is a much better thing than carving your girlfriend's name into the wall at the Roman Colosseum like we saw in the news this month. Anyhow, a lovely post. Thanks for the Saturday morning armchair holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love waterfalls. I tend to try and seek them out when I get the chance as they differ so much, but the similarities are always there as well. Beautiful images!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.