Ultimate Blog Challenge - My Top 10 Tourist Attractions in the United States

It's Day 28 of the Ultimate Blog Challenge, and also TGIF!

Today's assignment is the following:

The President of the United States is either loved or hated. Where do you stand - what is your opinion?

Write a post on how your industry has changed as a result.

OK, Swiss / European person here. As such, the last President we were really fond of, was Barack Obama. Mr T, in my, and most of my fellow countrymen's opinion, was a disaster as a "role model", public figure, and especially as a President, so we're glad he's gone, and frankly, I don't even care about democrat or republican, anyone who succeeded him is already an improvement. 

Does the Biden / Harris duo have a direct impact on my industry, which is IT? 

Unless they stop the downside of globalization, I don't think so. Here's what would make our lives easier:

  • Our industry needs microchips, and we don't want to depend on China. For that reason, the EU Council, together with the European Parliament, passed the so-called "chip law". According to this law, the European market share in semiconductors is to be doubled from 10 to at least 20 percent by 2030. Intel plans to build a factory in Poland. Europe is supposed to help pay for it.I understand discussions about the finacial involvement of the European governments are still ongoing.
  • The big players want to cut their costs and are making life difficult for us with their customer-unfriendly "service system". Microsoft and HP, for example, do not provide us with personal contact persons. We have to deal with low-qualified supporters, who are located in a tax-favorable place, by means of a ticket system. A simple warranty case for a color printer thus drags on for weeks, and our end customer got tired of waiting. He was forced to buy a new device. Is that the idea?

Enough of this though. Speaking of the United States...I wanted to pick up Jaime's list from the other days:

My Top 10 Tourist Attractions

in the United States

I have purposely not read the article since because I wanted to come up with my own priorities. So here goes, in no particular order:


Statue of Liberty, New York City

Make sure you also stop at Ellis Island and learn about immigration history. 





Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, CA

When you're done, move on to Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39.



Washington D.C.

The Capitol reflecting Pool, Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, just take it in.




Bryce Canyon, UT - just one representative of all the amazing National Parks in the Southwestern part of the country.




The Rocky Mountains

I like Vail as a destination, but there must be countless of other locations with great views, hikes and slopes.

Photo Credit: Mike Kit on Pexels



 Love Park, JFK Plaza, Philadelphia, PA





Chicago, "the L tracks", and Willis Tower


Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Maybe not an A-list tourist attraction, but oh so pretty! It's a wonderful coast to explore in general.



Las Vegas, the Strip in general




Seattle: Pike Place Market
Of course don't miss the Space Needle Tower and the Waterfront.




I discussed the list with my 15yo son, and we came up with a few runner-ups: 

  • Cape Canaveral, take the Kennedy Space Center tour, and if you're lucky there's even a launch scheduled during your stay.
  • Niagara Falls, even though we think the Canadian side is cooler.
  • Hollywood Sign in Los Angeles
  • Nashville, Church Street and general area, lots to see and do, for example the "Batman Building" or the country Music Hall of Fame. 
  • San Diego, just because it's my second home and favorite place: La Jolla, Coronado Island, Gaslamp Quarter, Mission Beach and much more.

How about you, what's on your personal Top Ten List?

















Comments

  1. I agree with most of yours (NOT Las Vegas). Glad your son has had a chance to see those sights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit a few of my favorites! Coronado Island is great, I also love Maine and to contrast Vegas is fun! I personally love almost anything in Texas, of course I am biased! For outdoor fun I enjoy Divide and Woodlands Park, Colorado, great RVing area. Like you there are so many wonderful places in the US and for you in Switzerland it is hard to choose 10 or even 100! Cindy Rae

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have hit about one half of your list. Which is sad as I live here! I mean, I haven't seen the Statue of Liberty yet. Or Seattle either...

    There is still so much I need to see in Texas, and I have lived here for 20 years now. We have made plans to go to San Antonio for years, and something also comes up!

    I plan to see more places during this phase of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dominique, Tamara's list is great, those are all must see things here in the United States. San Antonio is one of my favorite places to visit in Texas, the Riverwalk, Tower of Americas, the Missions, gardens, caverns, so much to see and do! Same with Seattle and their Pike Street Market, Space Needle, Underground City Tours, Puget Sound, art museums, and original Starbucks!

      Delete
  4. Most Canadians (me included) agree with your opinion about the U.S. presidents. Las Vegas is such a fun place and I'd love to visit some of the other places you highlighted. Of course, we have San Diego in common - it's a paradise! And yes, the Canadian side of Niagara Falls is definitely cooler! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. "the last President we were really fond of, was Barack Obama." - I'm with you on that! I have been to some of the tourist attractions, but haven't been and would like to go to Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that you picked a place in Philly! Thanks for the recommendation in Maine. We are headed there for vacation soon. I'll have to check it out. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW you live in Switzerland but have visited more places in the US than I have! LOL. But hubby and I did go to California years back to watch the Dodgers double header and drove up to the Hollywood sign.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings Tamara, wow, you have been to several amazing places in the United States to have such a comprehensive list of awesome sites to explore! I only visited 5/10 of those places before the pandemic (Statue of Liberty, Golden Gate Bridge, Bryce Canyon, Vegas, and Seattle). During the pandemic, I traveled to 49/50 (not Alaska) states and managed to hit all the others sites you mentioned! Thank goodness they were mostly outdoor, with the exception of Willis Tower, which we got in with our masks on to see views of the great Lake Michigan and downtown Chicago! Much gratitude for mentioning my Top 10 List of top USA tourist attractions! Thank you for sharing you lovely list! Sending love! Jaime

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.