Ultimate Blog Challenge - Do you enjoy being out in nature?



Day 12 of the Ultimate Blog Challenge. Here's today's question:

Do you enjoy being out in nature?

I enjoy being out in nature moderately ;-)

Ask my husband (who is, by the way, just about the same), and he will laugh. He will tell you that the one time in my life I talked to a shrink, I was told to go out and hug a tree in order to get in touch with nature. Needless to say I didn't hug a tree, and I didn't go back to the shrink. I did, however, go on a little walk.

I do enjoy scenic views such as the mountains, a lake or a beach, and I have the pictures to prove it. I even enjoy nature as in a guided safari in an open vehicle. I will actually hike for a bit if I get to see alpaca. This spring, my Mom and I drove two hours each way to see tulips. 



Speaking of my parents, my Dad, more particularly. 

I grew up going hiking every family vacation. Hiking, not taking gondolas. Bringing our own sandwiches, not visiting the mountain restaurant's terrace. I wasn't a fan. I grew up mowing the lawn, weeding, raking the leaves and doing other cleanup duties every Saturday when my friends went out for ice cream or rollerblading. It always felt like punishment, not enjoyment. 

I said to myself when I grow up I'll live in an apartment.

Which I did, by the way, for several years, until I met my husband who owned a house. It comes with a garden, which is taken care of by a professional landscape gardener. "Best money spent" hubby says, who hates mowing the lawn even more than I do ;-)

Fun fact: long after I had moved out of my parents' place they told me they were going to cut down the maple tree. The very tree that causes so much foliage and little "propellers" that are hard to clean up. The very tree that had been planted the year I was born. Let's just say the tree grew taller than I did ;-)

So over several years I voluntarily went to my parents' garden to clean up after my tree in order to save its life. How's that for being in touch with nature? However, after the roots started to break up the little garden wall, the tree had to go after all. 

When I lived in Southern California I missed the changing of the seasons. While raking leaves may be a pain in the butt, the sight of a colorful forest during Indian Summer is fantastic! 

Same goes for spring. It's very peaceful to wake up to chirping birds, and you will find me actually chasing cherry and magnolia tree. This year I found out how pretty apricot blossoms are (and where to find them)!



I'm quite interested in astronomy, but I won't set an alarm for 3am only to see shooting stars or a planet rising.

I can tell basil from oregano, but I obviously don't care for them well enough, because I've already killed several.


Recently I learned that the pots you buy basil in, are too small. You're supposed to divide the stems and re-pot them. There we are again. Not my idea of fun. I'll keep purchasing my ready to go basil at the market.

I have a lot of respect for people who take care of their garden - I am looking at you, Lily and Martha - and I totally get how relaxing and rewarding it is for them, but not for me. As I walk around in my neighborhood, I will acknowledge how neat and colourful everything looks. Veggies, fruit trees, flowers, a well maintained lawn. Way to go!

However, I am definitely not the outdoorsy type when it comes to gardening myself, camping or getting my shoes or hands dirty. I hate mosquitos, wasps and flies. They make me physically uncomfortable. I'm not a good sleeper to begin with. Add a terrorist mosquito to the mix, and my night is ruined.

My Swiss friend, who moved to Canada, where they are not entirely self-sufficient but on the way of becoming so, will laugh at me and call me city girl. She's not wrong.



There's more.

While I love the beach in terms of the waves and the sunset, you won't find me spending entire days roasting in the sun. I wrote an entire post about the reasons. 



Wrapping up, let's agree that I am a low grade, fair weather nature lover. 

How about you? Do you enjoy being out in nature? 


Comments

  1. I miss the opportunity to ride my bike outside and enjoy nature, the cities, and the weather. I hope hat will change soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like the mental health "professional" didn't know much about what might help you to feel better. I love hugging trees and would believe she was brilliant for intuitively knowing how deeply it touches my soul to hug trees and I know enough to say it isn't for everyone. :-) I enjoy being outdoors a lot, I enjoy exploring, hiking... all those types of things but like you, I hire out the weeding and mowing. No thanks! I am very protective of the trees I share my yard with when it comes to trimming... I also appreciate friends who think differently than me and enjoy different things than I do. Thank goodness we can have variations of nature loving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hubby and I are definitely outdoor people! He is the only one that mows the lawn in our 98 home subdivision! At 77 years old, he mows, weeds, trim trees and even walks around to the neighbors yards and help them clean up the weeds. Lia and I love planting the vegetables but the big thrill is watching her when she picks her crops, she is so excited to see how well everything grew. Our get-a-way is to the mountains of NC where it is so remote and full of nature. Yes, you could say we would be happy living in a tent in the middle of the forest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.