Ultimate Blog Challenge - How can you provide more acts of service?

Photo by Pixabay



Welcome back to the last week of October's Ultimate Blog Challenge. Today's question is

How can you provide more acts of service?

Similarly to yesterday's topic I'm reluctant to add more to my plate, call me selfish. 

I mean, I'm already helping out, donating, contributing, if anything I'd like to reduce my load. 

Except, could there be acts of service that don't take up a lot of my time and effort? Or that don't feel like a chore?

Looks like just last night I got an opportunity to do so.

My editor-in-chief, aka the lady who manages the quarterly village magazine, sent me a text, asking whether I was able to cover an event since all the other staff members were busy.

It takes place Saturday afternoon, and luck has it that Colin's game is on Sunday.

So, yes, I will provide an act of service by attending the fire fighting exercise and write about it. 

It'll take place at the elementary school just five minutes from here. I feel good about it. See, the firefighters who take part in this event, provide an even greater act of service. They do this exercise and many others, on their own free time.

In Switzerland, except for the big cities, most municipalities do not have permanent firefighters, but they are people from the town who participate in drills in their spare time and are called up for emergencies according to an operational plan. It is voluntary to be a militia firefighter, but the citizens who do not want to do so will be taxed more.

Thanks to the great camaraderie among the firefighters, this system works, and luckily they seem to have enough people, which is not always the case for organizations that are based on people volunteering their time. 

Just like in sports, there is a youth department within the fire fighters' organization. I covered one of their exercises in June and learned that kids who are ten years or older are welcome to join. They'll start small, but in time they develop skills that your average teenager does not have. Once you're 15 you're allowed to participate in respiratory protection exercises. I was impressed by the eagerness and seriousness of these youngsters. 

So, I will answer today's question "How can you provide more acts of service?" by saying "I will write about people who provide acts of service," so that the 4,200 citizens of our town can read about it. And I feel good about it.

Do you agree?



Comments

  1. Yes, giving up your Saturday for a good cause if definitely an act of service! But I think if you are already giving and volunteering, then your answer to that "how can you give more?" could be "I am happy with what I am giving already." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that youth 15 years and up are allowed to volunteer in the Fire Service. That certainly instills a sense of doing good for others in the community from a young age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Certainly. Another approach is to volunteer as a fireperson, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you heard about the busier a person is, the more they do? You are like me, I love to help any way I can and even if busy I manage to find time to help out. I like the idea of having a youth department in the fire fighter's organization. Now try to take a short break for a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's pretty cool. I hope the fire fighters are thanked for their service. - Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tamara, I believe that any good act is a contribution to the quality of life for all. How wonderful that you are giving up your Saturday to visit the firefighters. I had no idea any firefighters had a youth unit. Fantastic! One thing I do quietly is help food distribution by collecting extra plastic grocery bags and egg cartons. I then take them to a church that is a monthly distribution point for our major area food bank, Saint Mary's Food Bank. For the 100 or so people who line up for food every third Friday, this makes an incredible difference. And for the guy that lives behind the grocery store monument sign, the bags make all the difference to his ability to carry the food away. Thanks for whatever you can do to be a positive force in your community.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.