Ultimate Blog Challenge - What comes naturally to you?


Welcome back to October's Ultimate Blog Challenge. Today we're talking about 

What comes naturally to you?

Off the bat this is what comes to mind:

Take charge when something needs to be done that speaks to me. While others still debate about whether or not something is a good idea and whether tickets / accommodation etc. may be available at all, I'm already browsing offers or contacting somebody I know has relevant information. 

Write. Essays were a pain for many of my classmates. We would often get three prompts, and we had to chose one. I would have been happy to write all three essays if they gave me more time. It comes fairly easy to me to structure my thoughts and formulate them. Which often makes me the designated note (record) taker at a meeting or within an organization. 

Languages. Growing up in quadrilingual Switzerland, we had to learn French from age 12 on. Today's kids even start when they are 10. Italian classes (age 14) were voluntary, but I went for it. Back then, English wasn't mandatory yet, but almost everybody took these classes. We began when we were already 15. Thankfully they're starting kids much earlier (age 9) these days. I mean, they grow up on YouTube anyway. When Colin was two or three years old, he would acquire a British accent just by watching Peppa Pig or Thomas the Tank Engine ;-)

Connect with people. I am not talking about easily approaching random people and starting a conversation. What I mean is once I talk to somebody, it won't take long, and they will tell me their life story. It can be in a private or a business environment. I can't tell you what it is that makes them open up. I will just listen and ask a question here and there. They don't even know at this point that their secret is safe with me.

Get people - it may be a result from the connection I talked about above. Even if people don't tell me a whole lot, however, I will still have a good idea what's going on with them. Here's an extreme situation: I remember a difficult client hubby told me about many years ago. I never met this person, and I can't even tell you anymore what made him so difficult, but I remember intensely thinking his mother never paid attention to him. There's no way of validating my assumption, and I hate to blame the Mom, but this is what I felt about this person, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. 

Wing it. While I prefer to be prepared, I usually work well in unexpected situations as well. Some idea or solution will usually strike me. How else would I even be able to carry on doing Elf on the Shelf activities since 2012..?



I like how the questions of this blog series focusses on talents and preferences, and not the other way round, so I don't have to talk about my less than stellar domestic skills, and don't get me started on working with numbers or being assertive around arrogant people... 

Tell me about yourself - what comes naturally to you?

Comments

  1. Out of your list, I take charge, but not be "bossy", connect with people and before I know it we're giving our life history, and to wing it! As for the domestic skills, baking and cooking come natural to me probably because I was always around my grandmother and she was the best at these. Also gotta throw in sewing another skill learned from gramma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. What comes naturally? Loving people. Kindness. Laughing. Singing. Dancing. Solving other people's problems more easily than my own! ;) I think you might be describing intuition, when you talk about understanding people, like that difficult client. And how cool that you have a facility for languages. I can hardly remember Spanish, after 2 years in high school and one in college. And I only remember the following from 7th grade's daily recital of the pledge of allegiance .. "des etats-unis d'Amerique, avec la liberate et la justice pour tous." Btw, it happens to me, too, that strangers tell me their stories, and I bet that for both of us, it's the way we smile at them and the openness in our expressions. Love shows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would tend to insert myself into said situations, as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.