Ultimate Blog Challenge - What do you prefer to wear to work?

Photo by Samantha Eaton on Unsplash


Welcome to Day 20 of the Ultimate Blog Challenge. Today's question is easy:

What do you prefer to wear to work?

Jeans, sneakers, a T-Shirt or a sweater. 

In other words, casual. 

That's what I am fortunate enough to be able to wear in my current work environment, which is IT.

I am not your typical work from home kind of person, and I'll tell you why in a minute, otherwise my answer would of course be my PJs.

Let's go back in time. Way back, after I graduated. My first job was with a traditional private bank in Zurich. The asset managers wore suits, and so did the ladies. I mean, they did the equivalent. It didn't have to be a skirt, but certainly a blouse, a scarf, elegant pants, a blazer and fancy shoes. I had my nails done and wore make-up. 

It feels so wrong today. That wasn't me, that was my work uniform. I don't think I minded back then though. I wanted the job, and I dressed for it, as did everybody else. Probably a great example of a false self, as Jeanine calls it. 



It was my birthday, that's why you can see wrapping paper in the background.

After less than three years I left the banking industry to pursue a career in Human Resources. I worked for different fields, such as engineering, software and F&B, and by climbing the so-called corporate ladder, I had to dress accordingly, but never as over the top as in banking. 

With Starbucks, if there were no meetings or interviews, I would oftentimes adopt the dress code that applied to the stores: black polo, beige khakis, black sneakers. I didn't put on the green apron for my office job, though ;-) I like to think this was my first job environment that allowed people to be themselves, not only in terms of clothing, but of generally expressing themselves without the risk of being labeled to their disadvantage. 

At least I thought so. Store people who had to cover their tattoos with long sleeves or turtlenecks, who were not allowed to paint their nails or to wear nose piercings for hygienic reasons didn't like it. Back then you had to have a "natural" hair color. These days you can see baristas with blue or green hair, and while I am happy for them, I don't think they look professional. 

However, in times of skills shortage, especially in the gastronomy field, plus as you're dealing with Gen Z individuals, I guess you have to hire what you can get. 

Speaking of the youngest generation on the labor market. The other day I was watching a documentary on "New Work". A Swiss company that claims to be a hybrid of management consultancy and creative agency, was portrayed. The team consists entirely of people in their early twenties, and they proud themselves of being able to work wherever and whenever they want. 

No office space existed at the time of the report. The employees worked from home, from the café or from abroad. Meetings were being held using the digital tools we got to know and love (or not) during the pandemic. 

Since the owners (a young married couple with two babies, most probably the only ones who have a family) are aware of the importance of face-to-face meetings, they occasionally host "workations". Meaning, the team heads to a signature destination like Berlin, Germany, or New York. What do they do there? Some sightseeing, some team building, and some work. In the morning, you can see them in the hotel lobby, and as an outsider you are unsure whether they are having breakfast while working or if they are working while having breakfast, but I guess that's the point. They're having it all.  

What services does the company provide? If I understand correctly, they do social media for businesses that don't want to deal with TikTok and the like. That's why you can observe employees who are constantly posting this or that. 

The next morning the journalist and camera team were waiting for the CEO for half an hour. The rest of the team had already departed to whatever they were doing in the city, when finally the boss and one of his associates emerged from the elevator. They looked tired. 

We got stuck at the bar, talking shop, they explained. We got a lot of groundwork done, though.

Uh, OK. The others were out until late as well. They thoroughly enjoyed each other's company. Still they managed to get up and be ready on time...

As you can tell, I am not entirely convinced by the concept. 

I mean, it's great for the girl who got herself a dog during the 2020 lockdown. She gets to sleep in, work from home, walk her dog, and work some more while wearing the same sweatpants she slept in. I have to assume that at the end of the day she completes her assignments and meets her deadlines. 

To each their own, and if they're happy, I'm happy.

Looking at it through the eyes of HR, however, I'm not comfortable. I sense in-transparency and undermining of labor laws regarding maximum working hours and thus exploitation of employees. Since they love what they do and do what they love, it's camouflaged as being paid while having fun. 

Just wait until they grow up ;-)

I had a good laugh at the end of the documentary. The journalist was invited back. The owner wanted to show her their new office space. 

What?

Yes. 

The team requested a steady location to come to. A place where they could talk to coworkers without firing up their Zoom or Teams. Sort of a structured work day that ends as you're leaving the building. 

Who would have thought? 😂

And there you have the reason why working from home is not good for me personally. The advantages are great, sure. Especially if you're a Mom. You're around to get your kids ready for school, you can do laundry while you work, you can wear your PJs all day, that's all wonderfully convenient.

But it's awfully quiet. 

While I probably wouldn't want to spend several workations a year with my coworkers, I like them. I can do my job better if I hear what's going on around me. 

At home nobody's laughing, nobody is there who will listen to why you're upset about a client. If you have a question for a coworker, I need to text or send an e-mail. There's always some document that's not available electronically, and you have to ask someone at the office to scan it for you. Depending on what it is that you do, you will still have to go to the office to pick up mail or packages. 

Plus nobody takes care of the perks. At the office, there's always coffee and water. Your recycle bin is emptied regularly, there's always paper in the photocopier and cartridges in your printer. Let's not forget the toilet paper. Somebody makes sure we never run out. I'm totally kidding here, btw. It doesn't matter whether I'm in the office or at home, I'm the one who has to take care of it anyway. 

So what do you think? What do you wear to work? Would you be up for a new work model?

Comments

  1. I dress very casually, which works well since I am often at home. But I was pretty casual at work, too, until it was suggested that I might make a better impression if I dressed up a little. So there was actually a time when I wore suits! Thank goodness those days are over. Hey, thanks so much for mentioning me. You look adorable in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading about your journey and perspective on how things are coming around these days. I spent 27 years in the Insurance industry. And while not at consavative as the banking industry, it was pretty close! I remember wearing the suits and ties and all the 'work' that went into getting dressed for work (as a guy, I certainly had it easier than a female...)

    Time went on when we had Casual Fridays and were allowed to wear 'Business Casual' attire - Khakis and a button down. Every once in a while, as a fundraiser, we could pay (I mean, um, donate) and were able to wear jeans. Over time, prior to me leaving, we were Business Casual all the time.

    Having my own business and working from home allows me to literally wear whatever I want. I will admit - if I am up early and do not have any meetings, some days I am very casual. In most cases, I just 'feel better' when I am dressed more professional than just a hoodie and sweats. Granted, I wear jeans, and most of the time some sort of button down shirt.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WE only have sartorial rules when a client comes to visit, or we are visiting them. Other than that0 anything (note- NOT NOTHING) goes. We also have a 3 day attendance requirement, with a half day (Monday or Friday) for in-offce engagements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always one for causal dress. Since I started my business in my home when the girls were young, I always made sure they were dressed and ready to go out if needed. Same with me, I would get dressed first thing, eat breakfast and "go to work" in my jeans and nice shirt. When we moved south, everyone dress super casual in shorts and t-shirts! I did change my work attire to shorts when I realized it got over 100 degrees!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that I can wear whatever I'm in the mood for when working remote. If I don't have a lot of Zoom calls, I wear a t-shirt or something comfy and barely any makeup. Lots of meetings - dressy on the top and sweatpants on the bottom. I do miss working in person with people. I miss the comradery and water cooler conversations. I'm hoping to find a hybrid position where I can have the best of both worlds - and still be able to do laundry and walk the dog. :) - Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you, Tamara, I've dressed in different ways to go to work, at various times in my life. Thankfully, I never worked anywhere that required a uniform. When I worked in a school system, we were asked to "dress for success" which generally meant business casual, with the perk of getting "dress down" Fridays. Once I started working for myself, I dress based on the occasion or location. The bottom line is, I dress to be comfortable. That's my criteria. ~ Florence C.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like you, Tamara, I've dressed in different ways at various times of my life, depending on my work situation. When I worked in a school system, we were asked to "dress for success" which generally meant business casual, and we got the perk of "dress down Fridays." Once I started working for myself, I dress based on the occasion and location. I dress so that I'm comfortable. That's my criteria.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.