Ultimate Blog Challenge - What Legacy would you like to leave behind?



Welcome back and happy Sunday! 
Today's episode of the Ultimate Blog Challenge is about

What Legacy would you like to leave behind?

A few years ago I wrote a "Top Ten" post about my thoughts on passing away. These are still valid. I didn't talk much about my legacy though, except I want people to remember my happy moments, and it'd be nice if they thought I made a difference. 

So that's probably the core.

To make a difference. 

How does a person make a difference? What does it mean to make a difference? Is it a universal or an individual thing? 

Am I doing a difference as I am going about my day like above - uplifting and empowering others?

I mean doctors who heal and save people surely make a difference. Politicians who achieve controversial change for a large group of the population make a difference, and anyone who does social and charity work makes a difference. 

As an HR person, I had to fire many people over the course of my career. While getting rid of dishonest, sloppy or obnoxious people may also a way to make a difference as in cleaning up the workplace, I also saved a person from being discharged. 

Back in elementary school I made sure a mishandled bracelet was returned to its owner. Standing up for others and doing the right thing surely needs to be part of my legacy, even though I am a small fish. 

What I am pretty sure everyone around me will remember me by are the following things:

  • I bring people together. Be it by organizing class reunions or smaller gatherings for family and friends, or by connecting individuals within my network. You need someone who has a certain skill or has access to a company or department? I most probably know someone and will introduce you to them. 
  • I am creative. I write, I bake, I am somewhat crafty, I make videos, I come up with Elf on the Shelf ideas for years and years.
  • I am organized. My ducks are in a row.  I update my contacts and calendar, I use to-do lists, I get sh** done, and I go places - on time. Not sure if this qualifies a a legacy of my life, but it's probably something people will say about me.

I'm trying to think whether people say about me that I am a good Mom, because I certainly aspire to be one. I remember overhearing my parents say to someone else that they (hubby and I) were doing a good job raising their son. That was nice to hear, especially considering my own Mom used to be a Kindergarten teacher, so she knows a thing or two about how to deal with children. 

Here's a person who certainly lived up to her aspirations:

I guess my conclusion is I am lucky to get more time in life to work on what I want to be my legacy of making a difference.

How about you? What legacy would you like to leave behind? Do you think you're making a difference? How? 

Comments

  1. I never really thought of this question but thinking about it now, I would hope people would remember me for being kind, caring, compassionate and always positive. I'm also hoping that especially Lia will remember me for all the good times we had together baking, cooking and just being together.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.