UBC January 2024 / 20 Days of Chill - Resource List / I don't want to adult today

 



Today's UBC prompt is to create a resource list that may be of service for my readers. 

I know that some of you are in the same boat when it comes to purging your house and to get in better shape health-wise. You may also struggle to start somewhere because there is so much to do? I know this applies to me.

The more we have on our plate, the more we try to ignore it and opt for above scenario... hide out in our blanket fort ;-) 

Which brings me to today's title. As you can see it also mentions 20 Days of Chill, a challenge I have been participating in a few times in the past. When I saw the list of writing prompts that was published way in advance, I knew I wanted to use today's, which is I don't want to adult today. 

I mean I am a responsible person who makes every effort to fulfill all my obligations on time. Sometimes though... Wouldn't it be great if someone else cleaned up our home, made dinner or took our body to the gym?

*Sigh*

So what's on my resource list in order to get motivated and get things done?

Music! Before I started writing, a huge pile of laundry was waiting on my desk. YouTube suggested an hour of 1984 songs. 1984 happened to be an excellent music year! Listening to Phil Collins, Van Halen, Tina Turner and The Cars immediately put me in a good mood, and folding laundry went smoothly. 

It's not that bad! I mean, it's fresh laundry. Other people have to clean public bathrooms. Or work on construction sites now that it's bitter cold. 

Make a plan! Sometimes it helps to actually schedule chores. As in put them into your calendar and stick to it.

Just do it! Telling myself "If you don't do it, nobody will do it, and the sooner you start, the sooner it'll be over."

A good reason! Thinking about the why. I have to put this load away, because the next one is already in the washer, and I will need the space. Also, if I don't sort through it, we won't have anything to wear. Technically not true, but you get the picture ;-)

Consequences! What happens if I don't do it? It'll only get worse. As I just said, another load is in progress which will double the pile. Plus I probably won't have a sudden attack of "now I feel like tidying up" during the week. 

Move it! Anything is better than just to sit. It'll add a few burnt calories to your daily total. 

Priorities! Start with the big items: towels, PJs, T-Shirts. Once they're gone, it'll be down to socks and underwear = smaller pile. 

Make it fun! Imagine it's a challenge... Can you do it in less than 15 minutes? Can you find joy in sorting the items by color? (I know it's a bit of a stretch here...)

Visualize the result! My desk will be empty and look really neat! Well, for five minutes ;-) Also a feeling of accomplishment. 

Reward! While nobody will be clapping or awarding me a trophy, 'll get to do something I like afterward. Unfortunately it won't be eating chocolate though. 


Photo by Sarah Brown on Unsplash


Was this helpful? What will you tackle today?



Comments

  1. I am not sure we have the capability to abrogate our repsonsibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an impressive list but I can't work on lists. I need to just dig my heels and when something needs to be done and do it. I'm have a super fun time so far in my re-organizing! Some aren't major projects but it makes me feel good when I can look at the before and affect area. That makes me want to keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some chores I need to do as well and being to cold to go outside I turned on the music and danced and did dishes and laundry getting in steps while working out and yes, I did create a list of what I needed to do and what I need my son and hubby to do so we will be prepared for a new week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great attitude! I should have read this before I wrote mine! All very good motivators. I should try them today. 💜

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am about to listen to folk acoustic guitar music as I edit something I wrote, so I totally get you on that. Sometimes I do it when reading and commenting on UBC posts, too. I would find it difficult to chill for an entire day, but I probably need to. Maybe this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had the same idea for a blog post today. :) I think listening to music is a great way to get through the chores you hate the most. - XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love getting the laundry done...AFTER it's done. I hate doing it but the sense of accomplishment when I see that empty clothes hamper...PRICELESS! for about 10 minutes, until the next load hits. Can I join you in the blanket fort? It looks so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some of this is SO adulting. Like making a plan! Alas, it seems we all need to do the adulting things once here. That being said, I need to really incorporate music more into my world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.