UBC January 2024 - A Day in the Life

Today I'm using the official writing prompt, even though I don't expect it's going to be TV worthy. 

Why don't I do what TV producers probably do every day? Cheat a little. Sprinkle in spectacular footage from another day. I'll be upfront about it and let you know though.

The night from Thursday to Friday, December 22 of last year, brought some heavy storms, one of which caused damage on the electricity supply in Zermatt, our mountain office. As soon as I walked into the office on Friday morning, the phone kept ringing. Hotels and sports equipment stores called to say they don't have internet, access to server, can't issue room keys, use the credit card tool, you name it. 

What a mess. While most were understanding, one literally behaved like a toddler. Called three times, the last time to ask for the boss and complain. Can I just mention that this customer's problem was solved within half an hour?

I usually go home during lunch hour. It's from back when Colin came home as well. Since he's at his new school, however, he'll eat there, and I am on my own. Which is quite good because I'm currently not cooking stuff he would appreciate. Remember I'm watching my calores intake. 

Today, in parallel to eating some grilled chicken, edamame, sweet corn and quinoa, I wanted to try something Kebba shared on her Facebook page: Freezing meshed avocado



Genius! I love avocado, and I mean, you literally know the struggle when it comes to this delicate fruit:



So I will report back soon.

When I wanted to go back to the office, my garage door wouldn't open. (This really happened to me a couple of years ago): The spring had become brittle and torn. So the best I could have done was try to open the gate with force, I mean muscle power. I didn't have either at my disposal in a hurry, so I had to leave the building through the front door and walk to the office. Through the rain. For several days my car was stuck in the garage until a handyman showed mercy and repaired the door mechanism. The company that originally installed it, had gone out of business, so it took some cold calling related businesses. 

This really happened today: A vendor sent a freindly reminder. They claim we didn't pay an invoice that was due early this month. Also, the reminder was actually not overly friendly. It said if we didn't pay until next week, their services were going to be suspended. Since this is one of my routine tasks to make sure everything is paid on time, I was bummed. Did I miss anything? I checked our accounting system. The payment was made January 3rd. I even held the bank statement in my hand, confirming the transation. So I called the vendor. She aplogized and said I was in good company. A bunch of payments were not credited on their end. Phew. 

The following happened two days ago - ten years ago. I got a call from daycare. It always makes me anxious to see their number on my display. It usually means he got sick or hurt. This time they just wanted to let me know he had lost his very first baby tooth while eating a snack. Awww! 



Can't believe how far we have come. Just recently he went to the dentist's. Alone!!!

Actual case:

Our payroll system's "Withholding tax statement" evaluation and the portal of the canton of Valais are based on different facts. I arranged that this issue was discussed by the manufacturer directly with our client. The expert is of the opinion that the authorities have made an error of reasoning here. The answer from the cantonal office is now pending. This is gonig to be interesting. Auhorities love to be told they're wrong. Right?

Also currently happening:

Hubby / Boss is meeting with everyone for their performance review. Well, everyone except me. I never asked him why, so we can only assume he doesn't want to risk his laundry and meal service at home ;-) On the other hand, if he has something to criticize about me, he usually won't hold back. In front of the others. But this doesn't happen a lot, and that's a story for another day. 

For entertainment purposes let me summarize what I would tell my coworkers if I had no filter:

  • Stop being a #&@$!%*ing diva. Who do you think pays your salary? Customers. So kindly answer their a-mails and calls. And open the bathroom window after pooping. (For context, we are a small business. We have one bathroom. Boys and girls use it.
  • You're a charming young man, and we support you and treat you with indulgence. Still, the few real responsibilities you have, you've got to make sure you fulfill them. I'm not your Mom, put on your big boy's pants and write yourself a to-do list!
  • We have office hours that apply to everyone, including you. While it's admirable that you work all night to solve your customer's problems, nobody asked you to. Tell them you'll do it the next morning. And be available at 8am. It's unacceptable not to be reachable as late as 10 or 11am. Also give me your darn expenses once the month is over. By the time you get to it, half a year later, I can barely read the receipts.
  • You are awesome! You're kind and patient. Your clients - and we - are lucky to have you. Don't hide your light under a bushel. One small thing: Don't be afraid to say no. Or "I can't do it now, but I'll get to it tomorrow." I know you're good for it.
  • Be very afraid to say "I can't do it now, but I'll get to it tomorrow." since I know tomorrow doesn't look good either in your calendar. Instead of talking to your motocycle friends about an upcoming trip, kindly return your clients' calls now!
  • You're the hardest working and conscientious person - next to the hubby. Take a break every now and then! And stop apologizing for mistakes you didn't even make. 

Some of it may be a bit harsh, all in all they're all good people. So I'll volunteer what I would tell myself: 

  • Get off Facebook and your blog during working hours! I know you'll still get your sh** done, but you're a bad role model! Also considering you work part-time, you occupy a h*** of a lot of fridge space for your snacks and beverages!



My day is going to end well today. At least that's what I expect! We're going out for dinner, and then hubby's team plays against my team. We're going to watch it on TV. May the better hockey players win!

What was your day like today?

Comments

  1. Whew!! Storms and acts of nature can bring out the best - and worst - in folks! A funny one this week - one of my massage clients runs warm, so doesn't like epithet the massage table warmer or the extra room may on ....
    She was my only client on Tuesday, and I thought all was good - but my coworker had left both on when she was in Monday (it was super cold and icy last week, but our room in a doc's office stays warm) .... sigh
    It would generally be great - but I always turn both off before she comes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great day. It started with a Piloga class. That's a combination of Pilates and Yoga. I have completed my blog post for today earlier in the day than ever before in this challenge. That means in the same day it is posted for, not in the wee hours of the day after it is posted for. Furthermore, I have enough time and energy to complete the other tasks that are scheduled for today.
    Blog on !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I thought it was good, but my last comment may have just disappeared in the cloud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having a great day without sleep. LOL We left at 1:30am yesterday morning and got home about 6pm. Didn't sleep much last night but I'm working on adrenalin! But this afternoon was exciting, Lia took the bus home from school for the first time and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE THIS! You have some great feedback for your co-workers. If only we could be that honest with them. Also, love the avocado graphic. It will come in handy for my next charcuterie board! XO

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.