UBC January 2024 - Final Goodbye to 2023, Part II

So here's Part Two of the questions I started to answer yesterday. 


Some ways in which I could have shown up better...

I could always be more patient, jumping to conclusions less and be more tolerant towards idiot drivers and cigarette smokers. Otherwise I am happy with myself. Does that sound lame? It's an opportunity to look at myself critically in the mirror. Seriously though. I do so much for people, I'm cheerful, I'm composed, I'm considerate, I can't remember when I last yelled at someone or let someone down. So, yes, I feel OK about my ways in which I show up. Can I also mention that I show up on time. That's how Swiss I am ;-)


Some ways I'm proud of myself for how I loved are

How do I love? Will you allow me an analogy? I believe I love the way a puppy does. Minus the tail wagging, of course. Anyone who is kind, will have me run towards them, offer them my stick  and want to play. Especially if they give me treats. I'm only half kidding. I like to interact with nice people. I am interested in how they live. If there's anything I can do to help them, I'll do it. 

I'm human enough not to bark or bare my teeth at "bad people", but hubby can certainly tell how I feel about them just by looking at me ;-)


What I'm grateful for in 2023 is...

There are 188 items sitting in my Joy Jar folder. They stand for moments that brought me joy, thus I am grateful for. Using a random number generator I'm sharing five of them: 

97, 178, 31, 137, 58 - it's a good representation of family, friends, being creative and active







In 2024, I am ready for...

Losing weight in several ways:

  • A massive house purge is in order. Too much stuff is lying around everywhere. 
  • Body fat. It's long overdue anyway, and i agreed to 3kg at my last doctor's visit. I wouldn't mind if I made it 5kg = 10 pounds. Since then I have been saying no to added sugar, except when we were invited for New Year's Eve, I sort of had to eat the dessert that was put in front of me, and the other exception will be today's Three Kings bread. I only used half the sugar the recipe suggested, and it's a recipe that swaps butter for yogurt, that must count for something, right?
  • Asking for help. This is going to be the most challenging. Frist of all because I'm wired to manage everything on my own, and second because the person who should share my load, has an enormous plate himself, it's hubby. We'll se how that goes.


I'm committed to...

Keeping the fun factor up. Even if dutiful me always wants to have sh** done before letting her hair down, I did a decent job in 2023, and it can be expanded in 2024. Inspired by Happiness Project author Gretchen Rubin, Elisa over at Life without a Manual, put together a list of 24 things she wants to experience or accomplish this year. There are a lot of fabulous items on it! Maybe I should write my own list.


What I am most excited about is...

Blank. Darn. I don't know. Can't think of anything specific.

I am going to meet my Bestie for new year's drinks (I'll probably have an orange juice) next Tuesday, and my two closest High School friends for breakfast (I'll probably have an orange juice) on Saturday. I'm looking forward to all the upcoming hockey games, and I will be happy to see the first signs of spring. However, there's nothing standing out that qualifies to be most excited about. Am I blasé, or am I lacking a good travel project??? Let me know what you think. 


What I'm going to create...

On the menu today: a Three Kings Bread - actually that was yesterday.


 

On Monday I'll put together a video with Colin's team's hockey game highlight.

All through January I am going to come up with a blog post.

Anything for February through December will follow. I am not afraid, there'll be lots of opportunities to become creative, and I'll use them.


PS: The Christmas decoration is gone. Except some fairy lights. They are neutral and make me happy.


What are your plans to get active and creative?


Comments

  1. "Can I also mention that I show up on time. That's how Swiss I am ;-)" This made me laugh out loud 🤣

    Such an inspiring post, Tamara, I really appreciate how you let shine through that you love yourself, not sure how it is in Switzerland but in the U.S. for sure women are very often made to feel bad or like they're a b*tch if they actually like who they are and "have the audacity" to share that.

    I also love this joy jar idea and am declaring now that I am adopting that, so, thank you. Looking forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, patience that is one thing I need to find more of especially for the drivers in our area. I best thing of 2023 I liked on your FB was following Biscuit and Cookie, even on a trying day they made me laugh. As for 2024 I'm with you on the massive house purge, I started January 1st!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saying goodbye to 2023 as I embarked on retirement from a 40 year career and beginning a new adventure as an affiliate marketer is totally new for me. I am enjoying it completely!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your "Joy Jar" and all the wonderful Joys you put in there! I've used a "Gratitude Jar", which would be similar. I like the idea of a "Joy Jar" for sure. It's wonderful to see how content you are with yourself, and how many lives you touched in 2023. Here's to a WONDERFUL 2024!! Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tamara, you shine! You sparkle! All the good things you said about you are true, and more. Maybe your biggest project to be grateful about in 2023 is raising Colin? Just saying? Is he not a fine young man, with hockey in his veins? OK, just an idea. House purging: I'm doing it! And how wonderful to have you and Martha as my purge partners! Looking forward to hearing how your process evolves. <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.