UBC January 2024 - Morning Glory



Here I go, having another good 45 minutes of freedom at my disposal to write today's post. We're leaving for Chiasso soon. Chiasso is the last Swiss town before the Italian border. Sandwiches are made, hockey bag is packed.

If you've been watching my videos of Colin's hockey games, you know I always put together an intro featuring sightseeing of the respective area. It's usually mountains, lakes, birds, scenic old towns, bridges, you name it. 

Chiasso, however, is tough. Chiasso is literally just the end of the Swiss freeway, and depending on the time of day, month or year, traffic jam, consisting of large trucks and Italy-bound tourists, congests the area. 

Consulting Tripadvisor it'll immediately send you to Lugano or Locarno, the way prettier cities in the South of Ticino, that are 50, resp 25 minutes away.

So I'll see what I can do.

Today's official writing prompt is 

Tell a Story, Morning Glory

And I am not sure this is a hint to an Oasis or Earth, Wind and Fire song? Not a fan of Oasis though. and I am too young to have grown up with EWF, I only know After the Love has gone.

Since we're on the topic of music - and hockey - tough, here's a preview of what I expect to hear during warm up and the game today, and at every decent hockey game for that matter:

  • Status Quo: Rockin' around the World
  • Queen: We will rock you
  • AC/DC: Thunderstruck
  • ELO: Rock'n'Roll is King
  • Survivor: Eye of the Tiger
  • Europe: The final Countdown
  • Phil Collins: In the Air tonight

Since we're not in North America, unfortunately the Hockey Song by Stomping' Tom Connors is not being played much. 

I'd like to take this opportunity to wish Debbie D a very happy birthday. Debbie is a fellow hockey and travel aficionado who has been very supportive to my blog, so if you can, give her some love and good wishes as well by going over here.

My time is almost up.

Let me just share a few pictures from beautiful Ticino in the Italian speaking part of Switzerland, and I'll be on my merry way: 

Gotthard pass. In summer you can cross the Alpine pass, in winter it is covered in snow and you have to use the 17km long (10.5 miles) tunnel, which is known to be very busy. 



In a very remote location in the Northern part of Ticino called Lavizzara, star architect Mario Botta, happened to build this unique chapel not far from the hockey rink. 



Ascona, one of my favorite places. So lovely. This picture was taken just about a year ago. While it's usually grey and foggy in Northern Switzerland, Ticino is dominated by milder, almost Mediterranean climate. 




Lugano, most popular tourist spot at the Lugano Lake. 


I hope you're having a lovely weekend!

Wish Colin's team luck! The opponent is leading the table, his team is in second place. They naturally want to win today to get closer to the top. 

Comments

  1. Such beautiful pictures of a beautiful country. Good luck Colin and team! If you can get to second place, you can surely get to first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am transfixed by your photos. Heaven does exist!

      Delete
  2. Tamara, what beautiful images, even the chapel. What language is spoken in your part of Switzerland? I hope Colin's game was spectacular!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.