UBC January 2024 - Snow Day


Above picture was taken at 6:30am this morning. 

Today, too, my title is a bit of a stretch though. In Switzerland we don't have snow days as such. Meaning, our municipal employees will get out of bed at 4am to clear the streets of snow. It's fair to say that around here we don't usually have tons of snow falling, so our resources are usually enough.. 

Except a few years ago. I had to go back in my photo archive to find out it was almost to the day three years ago.

On that morning there was so much snow I decided it was wise to leave my car at home and walk to the office. Luckily, under "normal" circumstances it's only a 12 minutes' walk. It was snowing heavily though, and I didn't take the main road, meaning I tried to walk on unplowed territory, I was carrying an umbrella, plus I stopped at every corner to take pictures... so it took about twice the time. 





It was so pretty!




This is the bust stop next to our office.



When I arrived  at work I spotted a car with the hazard lights on, blocking the road. Poor guy, I thought. As I got closer I realized the guy was my coworker, and it wasn't like his car had broken down - there was no chance for him to park said car.

Two years ago the person who previously took care of "second priority" early morning winter maintenance for our village, quit, and I had spent quite some time to find a replacement. Where were they when we needed them? 

With second priority I mean we do have a community worker who plows the main roads. Where does the snow go that he removes from the lanes? Into people's private or corporate driveways and sidewalks. So individuals have to take care of their own snow. 

I said to my coworker "we do have shovels in the basement, you just need to clean a narrow path for me to get into the building, and I'll get them." How was he supposed to do so, I didn't care. To my surprise he opened the trunk of his car and removed a shovel. He had a good laugh and pointed out that he had to get his car snow free at home somehow! 

True. Very foresightful of him to keep it in the trunk!



We shovelled for over half an hour just so he and another coworker were going to be able to park their car. In the meantime I was ready for another shower. Talking about being knee-deep in snow, right? I did pay for his Chinese lunch delivery that day.

Later hubby took pity in me (remember, I didn't bring my car to work, and I had to take Colin to hockey practice later that day) and he cleared his car for me. 



PS: the guy who was supposed (and would have been paid for it) to plow our driveway? He was stuck en route due to fallen trees. He arrived at 8:45am, apologized and did a great job cleaning our parking lot. 

So we'll see what today brings. I have to get ready to go to work now.

I have arrived. Everything looks so pretty!




Update: Lunch Hour at home. This is my view from the kitchen window :-)



Back to work I go...





Comments

  1. I love all of the photos, so beautiful!! We're on our 3rd snow of the month today! I have read conflicting reports, some say 1-3 inches, others 5-8, who knows! Since I've worked from home for the last almost 4 years and I've spent time working on my attitude towards all things winter I am actually able to really appreciate the cold and the snow. It definitely helps me get through the season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamara, I love your narrative, and your images are stunning! This is the first time I have seen a bus stop covered in snow, and the first time I have seen a lit-up fir tree covered in snow-- so beautiful! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful photos and it brought back memories when we lived upstate New York. We has so many heavy snow storm but not many snow days since the roads were plowed in time to get the school buses out. Now in the south it's a different story. If we have an inch the whole city closes up LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful Country and one day I would like to be someplace that has that much son to play in. I just wish it had been before my son was almost grown and out the door. But things always happen for a reason and its why we weren't able to make this wish come true.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.