Apple Blossoms



Welcome to this year's A - Z Blogging Challenge, as well as April's Ultimate blog Challenge. As mentioned in my theme reveal post, I'll be talking about all things spring that make me happy. 

We're kicking things off with apple blossoms today.



Every year, people and bees wait for a very specific event: the blossoming of the fruit trees. Some enjoy the beauty of the magnificent blossoms, others the rich supply of nectar and pollen. 

But when does which fruit tree make its grand entrance and when can you harvest from it?

The stone fruit varieties open the fruit tree blossom. The first blossoms can already be seen here at the beginning of April. As the name suggests, stone fruit varieties are all orchard fruit varieties that have a stone. These include peaches, apricots and plums, for example. These fruit varieties are quickly followed by sweet and sour cherries. We'll be talking about some of those later throughout this challenge.



Did you know? Stone fruit blossoms are mainly pollinated by bumblebees. They can withstand colder temperatures better and can therefore be active earlier in the year.



As if they don't want to let other fruit trees be admired for their beauty, the blossoming of the stone fruit directly merges with that of the pome fruit. This happens in mid-April or early May. 

This is therefore the time when apples and pears blossom.

Why do fruit trees go to so much trouble to blossom? Isn't it enough that they are laden with fruit in the fall? No, because without fruit tree blossom there would be no fruit at all. The colorful decoration and sweet scent of the fruit trees attract bees and other pollinating insects, which ensure that the fruit tree will later bear apples, quinces or cherries.

The Eastern part of Switzerland is known for its apple trees. I was there in May of last year and thoroughly enjoyed the trees in full bloom. So pretty!



I wouldn't have had to travel that far though. There's apple trees literally within walking distance from where I live.








If you're less into the blooms but more into the food, here's something to make from all these apples: Sweet potato apple cinnamon muffins.




We all know the saying "an apple a day keeps the doctor away". What are the actual health benefits from eating apples though?

  • Rich in Nutrients: Apples are low in calories but high in important nutrients like fiber, vitamin C, potassium, and various antioxidants. A medium-sized apple provides about 4 grams of fiber and 14% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin C.

  • Support Digestive Health: The high fiber content in apples, particularly soluble fiber called pectin, can promote digestive health by preventing constipation and supporting healthy bowel movements.

  • Heart Health: Apples contain antioxidants, including flavonoids and polyphenols, which are linked to a reduced risk of heart disease. The soluble fiber in apples also helps lower cholesterol levels, contributing to better heart health.

  • Blood Sugar Regulation: Despite their natural sugar content, apples have a relatively low glycemic index (GI), meaning they cause a slower and lower rise in blood sugar levels compared to high-GI foods. This makes them a good choice for people managing diabetes or trying to regulate blood sugar levels.

  • Weight Management: Apples are a satisfying and low-calorie snack option, thanks to their high fiber content. Fiber helps you feel full, reducing overall calorie intake and potentially aiding in weight loss or weight management.

  • Antioxidant Properties: The antioxidants found in apples, such as quercetin, catechin, and chlorogenic acid, help neutralize harmful free radicals in the body, reducing oxidative stress and inflammation. This may contribute to a lower risk of chronic diseases like cancer, Alzheimer's, and other age-related conditions.

  • Improved Lung Function: Some studies suggest that consuming apples may be associated with better lung function and a reduced risk of respiratory conditions like asthma.

  • Hydration: Apples have a high water content, which can contribute to overall hydration levels when consumed as part of a balanced diet.





Are you as much into apple blossoms as I am?
Would you give the muffin recipe a try?

Let me know below. 

Tomorrow it's going to be all about bears. Hope to see you there.


Comments

  1. I love going to the apple orchards to pick my own! Your pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to make sweet potato apple cinnamon muffins. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photo of apple blossoms makes me want to paint a picture of them. I live in cold country, where nothing is blooming yet; but trees are starting to show their buds. It gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful blossoms. They make me want to get out my oil paints. The recipe looks good, but I'll pass it along to a daughter who enjoys cooking. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nature relaxes me. I appreciate you sharing these beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so look forward to your posts and wonderful photos. This year is going to be fun!

    https://dbmcnicol.com/a-afterthought/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pictures are beautiful. And now, I'm hungry for apple cinnamon muffins. :) Good to see you again, Tamara!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! I would try those muffins. Gonna send me some?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The orchards are so lovely! We have pears here, it's Harry and David land. I tried to grow an apple tree once. Fruit trees are hard for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the 5th picture with the rain falling on the horizon - and I wonder if the apple pictured is a Discovery - my favourite variety - great start Tamara...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I most definitely love apple blossoms. I love that look of them, the smell, and using them as inspiration for oil paintings. Your blog photo of apple blossoms is stunning and definitely inspiring. Unfortunately, I don't have time to paint (but I will come fall!).
    The sweet potato apple muffins look good to, but my husband does more creative baking than I do. I'm sort of the if-it's-more-than-three-ingredients I'm out type of baker. :-D
    I wanted to join is follower/subscriber to your blog, but I don't see a button to click to be a subscriber/follower.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many beautiful blossoms! Thanks for sharing the photos :-)

    Ronel visiting for A: My Languishing TBR: A
    Abominable Wraiths

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.