Ducks

Whenever I am on social media I find out I missed "international pancake day" or "national Panda Day", so for this post I wanted to anticipate whichever date is dedicated to ducks. Turns out the only duck appreciation day happens on January 13 and is actually for the rubber ducks of this world.

Really? What a shame.

So even though April 4 is international carrot day - who knew? - For today's sake, I also declare it 

Duck appreciation day

There, I did it!

When we think of ducks, we typically have the mallard in mind. 




Some examples of other duck species include the wood duck, teal, pintail, or pochard. I have never seen these species in nature myself, and if the same is true for you, you'll enjoy this collage:

Photo Credits: Bautista, Janice Carriger, Fadi  Abulaban and Hugo Sykes ib Pexels


Or the "mandarin duck", like this beauty here. We found him by a Swiss mountain lake in October when there was already snow. 


 

In regions where winters are harsh and water bodies freeze over, many duck species migrate to warmer areas where they can find open water and sufficient food. These migratory routes may cover thousands of miles and can involve stops at various wetlands and lakes along the way.

For example, in North America, many duck species migrate southward to locations in the southern United States, Mexico, Central America, or even as far south as South America. In Europe, ducks may migrate to southern Europe, North Africa, or even parts of Asia.




It's no secret that in the animal kingdom, boys are more handsome than the girls. Why is that?

In species where individuals compete for mates or where females are choosy about their partners, males often evolve traits that help them stand out and attract mates. Bright colors or elaborate displays can signal genetic fitness, health, or the ability to provide resources to potential mates and offspring. Females may preferentially select males with these traits, leading to their amplification over time through the process of sexual selection.

So does that mean, with humans it's the exact opposite? Women have to compete to get the best men?





When I was going through my many pictures, gathering my duck shots, I found very few with ducks and swans together, so I was wondering what might the reason be?

My research came up with the following explanation: 

Ducks and swans can coexist in the same habitat and often tolerate each other's presence without conflict. However, conflicts can arise, especially during certain times of the year or in specific situations.

For example, during mating season, male swans (called "cobs") can become territorial and may chase away other waterfowl, including ducks, from their nesting area. Similarly, ducks may exhibit territorial behavior, particularly when defending their nesting sites or protecting their young.

So that's why it'c called a duck pond, and not a aquatic birds pond ;-)




Ducks are omnivorous birds, meaning they have a varied diet that includes both plant and animal matter, such as pondweed, water milfoil, duckweed, algae,seeds and grains as well as insects, larvae, crustaceans, and even fish or fish eggs.

Speaking of food, and no, not "Peking Duck" from your friendly Chinese chef...

Is feeding ducks a good idea?

There are several reasons why people are discouraged from doing so:

  1. Nutritional Imbalance: Bread, popcorn, and other commonly offered foods are not suitable for ducks' diets. Feeding them such foods can lead to malnutrition and health problems, such as obesity, angel wing deformity, and nutrient deficiencies.


  2. Water Pollution: Uneaten food can accumulate in water bodies, contributing to pollution and nutrient imbalances. This can lead to algal blooms and disrupt the ecosystem balance, harming other aquatic life.


  3. Dependency: Ducks that are regularly fed by humans can become dependent on handouts and may lose their ability to forage naturally. This can make them vulnerable to food shortages if feeding stops or if they inhabit areas where natural food sources are scarce.


  4. Aggressive Behavior: Overfeeding can lead to overcrowding of ducks in certain areas, which may result in aggressive behavior as they compete for food. This can pose a safety risk to both humans and other wildlife.


  5. Disease Transmission: Concentrated feeding areas can facilitate the spread of diseases among duck populations. Additionally, human foods can contain harmful bacteria or molds that may negatively affect duck health.




So let's just enjoy them here, I put together 2.5 minutes of duck watching with relaxing piano music. While you're there, why don't you subscribe to my channel and like the video? Thank you!


Do you like ducks? Where is the closest pond or lake where you can meet them?

Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading this piece and looking at the pictures. I also learned something new about ducks, thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice video, and I enjoyed all the information you gave on ducks. Can't say that I've ever wondered about ducks and swans getting along, but I love little tidbits of information like that. Things that I never noticed before that now I will always notice. Thank you. I also didn't know you shouldn't feed bread crumbs to ducks. Good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked and subscribed, and now feel nudged again to do something with my own (abandoned) YouTube channel. I'm not particularly fond of ducks, but I don't have anything against them either. I do love looking at lakes and oceans, though, so thanks for the pics.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.