Ferry Wheels and Fairgrounds

In Switzerland we don't have many permanent amusement parks. If we want something really cool we have to travel to either France (Disneyland Paris) or Germany (Europapark, Legoland) 

We usually have (bi) annual markets or fairgrounds that come to town, and it's usually an opportunity to meet people whom you otherwise never see.

For kids and teenagers it's a time to run wild, spend their money on rides and eat all the sweets they possibly can: crêpes, churros, ice cream, roasted almonds, you name it.

I used to have a blast at these events, but I have to admit that the older I get, the less I enjoy these gatherings. Too many people, too many smells (don't get me wrong, roasted almonds smell pretty awesome - not if the next food stand sells garlic bread, though) and too many sounds, wildly mixed up. You have to wait in line forever for some overpriced sugary treat. Also, most rides make me sick.

Something I always look forward, however, it the Ferris wheel that usually comes to Zurich over the course of several weeks in spring. I think there is something peaceful to it to sit in one of the gondola and slowly ascending while enjoying a glorious view of the city.






Just a cute picture of my then 8 year old boy 💖 enjoying his ride. Can you believe he's almost twice that age today?




The Ferris wheel was invented by George Washington Gale Ferris Jr. for the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago. It was designed as a rival to the Eiffel Tower, which was constructed for the 1889 Paris Exposition. He got the idea for the Ferris wheel from a water wheel he saw on a trip to Carson City, Nevada. He envisioned a large, rotating wheel that would serve as a centerpiece for the exposition.

Ferris wheels have become iconic landmarks in many cities around the world. The London Eye, for example, is one of the most famous Ferris wheels globally and offers stunning views of the city skyline.

The one blow is of course not the London Eye. It's in Zug, Switzerland, where Colin trains. It used to return for the annual fall fair, however in recent years we haven't seen it back.





Ferris wheels come in various designs and sizes. Some are portable and can be assembled and disassembled for traveling carnivals and fairs, while others are permanent fixtures in amusement parks and tourist destinations like the one below in Irvine, CA.



The current record for the world's tallest Ferris wheel is held by the Ain Dubai, located in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Standing at a staggering height of 820 feet (250 meters), it surpasses previous records held by other giant observation wheels.

I've never been there, and I don't plan on traveling there, so let's move on... for example to Seattle, WA, another gorgeous one, and millions of tourists must think so, too.


Over the years, Ferris wheel technology has evolved significantly. Modern Ferris wheels feature climate-controlled cabins, LED lighting systems, and even onboard entertainment. I was surprised about that fact. The air conditioned gondolas in Cape Town, South Africa made for a comfortable ride while it was quite hot "outside".




Are you as fascinated by Ferris Wheels as I am? When is the last time you rode in one?

Happy Weekend!


Comments

  1. Love Ferris wheels, loved he as a kid.... as an adult, I've been too afraid to get one one

    ReplyDelete
  2. My office for my first job out of university would have looked down on the anchor brace of the London eye which was built some years after I moved on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ferris wheels. They are beautiful, but they go so high! Still, I would like to ride one, although I don't know if I would travel the world for them. On the other hand... well, who knows. Thank you for the post. The pictures are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been many years, decades, since I rode a Ferris wheel. I used to love them. Once I became an adult I didn't. I don't like heights now. Or, the looking down from heights I guess. That one is Seattle is in a very pretty setting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm afraid of heights, so I have never ridden in a Ferris Wheel. But it was interesting to hear where the idea came from! Your son was a cutie patootie. Reminds me of my son at that age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We almost went on the Ferris Wheel a few weeks ago when my daughter and I went to Fisherman's Wharf. They have moved the one that was in Golden Gate Park to the wharf. I really enjoy being so high up to see everything around. Great post!
    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tamara, now I love Ferris Wheels! I never thought too much about them. And I can't remember if maybe I rode in one once. But now that you've shared the origin of Ferris Wheels and some stunning photos, I would love to go take some photos of them myself. Not ride in one, thanks. Terra Firma for me :-).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.