Himmelsleiterli

This is in the area of our local castle. Himmelsleiterli pretty much translates as "Stairway to Heaven" and somebody made an interesting observation:

"The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven tells a lot about anticipated traffic numbers."




Apparently climbing the Himmelsleiterli is one of 25 things you absolutely must do in Lenzburg, according to an article I can't read because I am not a paying member of this platform. Yeah, well. Chances are I can put the other 24 locations together myself. After all I have lived here almost all of my life, except when I was in another canton (state) and in California. 

Let me share my top picks.

Schloss Lenzburg, our castle from the 11th century. It's where you spend adventurous days in pre-school, it's where I attended a corporate function, being dressed inappropriately, part 1 and part 2, and it's also where hubby and I got married, as per his request. He didn't grow up here, so he always thought it'd be a cool place to tie the knot. 




This picture of the castle was pretty much taken after climbing the Himmelsleiterli.





Goffersberg, or Gofi, as we like to abbreviate it, the mountiain that can only be reached by climbing the Himmelsleiterli.




Staufberg, our "house hill". On top there's the local church and cemetery, over the years it has become "home" to quite some people we knew. 



On a positive note, the annual nativity play takes place at that church. On New Year's Eve a huge bonfire is being set up using our citizen's Christmas trees that they leave at the curb early Dec 31 (or late Dec 30). Students and loyal helpers pick them up and haul them up the hill.

Photo Credit: My Mom



My father is a member of the local vinery association. They maintain the vine stocks, pick and crush the grapes, ferment and bottle the wine. The vines grow on the sunny slope of the Staufberg.

Photo Credit: my Mom, 2009, Colin was one year old!


Photo credit: my Mom, taken while riding a hot air balloon


The Aabach, our local creek. There are a couple of nice places that invite you to walk alongside, to cross a bridge or to just sit down and take in the peaceful scenery.




It's on my way to the Jailhouse Store where I get our "killer pies" on Wednesdays outside the hockey season. In this store they sell products that inmates have baked, cooked or crafted. Wine, yogurt, cookies, you name it. Wednesday is pie day, a good ten savoury and fruity varieties, and they are delicious.




If you drive a little farther you'll get to Fünfweiher, which translates to "Five Ponds." It is located in the mountain forest south of Lenzburg. Its name and a map from the end of the 19th century, indicate that there were once five ponds in this area. The ponds were built in tiers along the mountain valley rising to the south. Of the ponds, only the Fünfweiher still exists; all the other ponds have silted up in recent decades and can only be vaguely guessed at in the forest.

Until the turn of the century, there were a number of ponds in the municipality of Lenzburg, which had been created in the 16th century. Their main task was to supply the necessary fire-fighting water in the event of a fire. It was not until the construction of a central water supply with hydrants and elevated reservoirs (in 1890) that the importance of the ponds for fire fighting was reduced.


There is another gorgeous castle in my area, Schloss HallwylIt's technically 2-3 towns away, but who's counting. It's definitely a major attraction! It's where you go for a field trip in 3rd grade or so. Many people get married there.




If you walk 15-20 minutes you'll get to the jetty. A boat ride on a beautiful day is a must if you're in the area!




Lenzburg's Old Town in general, the Rathausgasse, townhall alley, in particular, with its cobble stones and old buildings. It looks extra special during the Holidays. 





In summer there is the farmer's market being held on Tuesdays and Fridays (both happen to be my office days, so I never get to go and take pictures...)



The annual Jugendfest parade leads through the Rathausgasse. The lady with the blue bouquet is F, my high school friend and maid of honor, plus she is a local teacher so she gets to participate.




The Rathaus Café in this picture is where I used to work as a student. This picture was taken in February 2013. I took Colin for breakfast prior to his IQ testing session that would later help him to skip a year and start 1st grade early.



The Rathausgasse's back ally was built to fit into the old ity
 wall with embrasures. I think they did a fantastic job.




There are many more nooks and crannies I would love to show you, but your reading time and patience are limited, so just quickly back to the Himmelsleiterli though. 262 steps lead up to the Goffersberg, from where you will enjoy a wonderful view over the entire region. 





Would you dare to climb the Himmelsleiterli? What about a stroll through my hometown?

Comments

  1. You live in a lovely area, Tamara and how interesting that you have this Himmelsleiterli! Where does it really lead? How many steps are there? Who built it? So many questions.... ☺ Google might tell me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a cool place! Thank you for sharing the pictures of this castle and around that area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful pictures of the castles! I love little Colin, hard to believe how fast they grow up. We have a Stairway to Heaven in North Carolina, it's the Fields of the Woods but only 321 steps to the Prayer Mountain. I would probably go for the steps of Himmelsleiterli if I went prepared with a truck on water following me. Breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful pictures of a beautiful country!
    --
    Tim Brannan, The Other Side blog
    2024 A to Z of Dungeons & Dragons, Celebrating 50 Years of D&D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brenda Marie, what lovely photos. I love castles. Thank-you for sharing .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Himmelsleiterli is gorgeous. Stairway to heaven looks absolutely inviting and your wedding castle is dreamy.I feel inspired to paint these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It certainly does look like a lovely place for a wedding. As for the stairway to heaven, I assumed it was because it was hard work to get there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such lovely pictures! I did take a walk up some stairs in San Francisco when I went on my A to Z adventure there but pretty sure it was no where near that many!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So that's the stairway to heaven?! I'd climb it so I could have the bragging right. Looks amazing. Incredible pictures from your part of the world. I hope I get to go there someday so I can hire you as my tour guide. XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every year I look forward to your expositions - especially about Switzerland, Tamara, and you never disappoint...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing this nice trip through Lenzburg. It brought back many nice memories. I even still have som epictures of us on the Himmelsleiterli and Gofi. big hug Bea

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.