Kingfisher

K is for Kingfisher, and one particular place one should be able to spot them here in Switzerland, is Klingau. More about the location in a minute, first, what is special about the birds?

According to a French legend, it got its colorful splendor because Noah let it fly with the order to look out for land. Due to a violent storm, the kingfisher had to fly so high that the sun was below it. The upper side took on the color of the blue sky, while the underside turned red due to the glow of the sun.

The kingfisher (Alcedo atthis) feeds its young almost exclusively with fish, which it hunts by diving into watercourses. Its population has declined mainly due to the development and regulation of rivers and streams, water pollution, declining populations of small fish and the draining of wetlands. The kingfisher prefers to breed on steep, sandy embankments.

Photo by Usman Yousaf on Unsplash

  1. Kingfishers often perch on branches or other elevated spots near the water's edge, patiently watching for prey. They have excellent vision and can spot fish, insects, and other small aquatic animals from a considerable distance.


  2. With remarkable speed and precision, the kingfisher dives headfirst into the water. They streamline their bodies and fold their wings tightly against their bodies to reduce resistance as they plunge into the water.


  3. Once submerged, kingfishers use their wings to propel themselves deeper into the water, pursuing their prey. They are highly agile underwater and can change direction rapidly to track and capture their target.


  4. Kingfishers have sharp, pointed beaks perfectly adapted for catching fish and other aquatic prey. They use their beaks to grab hold of their target with remarkable accuracy.


  5. After capturing their prey, kingfishers resurface and return to a nearby perch to consume their meal. After "whacking" the prey, the kingfisher will usually swallow it whole, headfirst. This allows the fish to slide down the bird's throat smoothly.

You'll be able to watch a video later on. Bear with me. First we have to find out where we can find this elusive bird?

Here in Switzerland we have a National Ornithological Station, and their website suggests  the Klingnau Reservoir, which was built primarily for flood protection and hydroelectric power generation purposes. Due to it being a water source offering food availability, shelter and nesting sites, it  attracts birds. Here we go! Actually I've never visited the reservoir before but I heard it's a popular recreational area for the locals, they enjoy going for walks or bicycle rides.

One sunny, yet cold, March morning I took the 45-minute drive to the Swiss/German border, and it didn't disappoint. Except of very few dog owners and baby strollers, I was on my own.








I quickly realized that a mobile phone is not the best tool for bird photography. If I come back, I'll bring my Mom and her powerful camera objectives. 

Unfortunately I did not encounter a kingfisher, but I really enjoyed walking along the water listening to the birds chirping. 

As promised, here's some professional footage of a kingfisher diving for his food, courtesy of "Le Zapping Sauvage":




Speaking of chirping....

Why do some birds also sing during fall and winter? 

Red-crowned skylarks are territorial and defend their territory even outside the breeding season. By singing, they let their conspecifics that migrate to us from the north-east know that they are here in territory that is already occupied by local residents.

Young birds may continue to practice their songs during fall and winter, refining their skills for the next breeding season.

Some birds sing to advertise the presence of food sources to potential mates or other members of their species. This can be important for survival during the leaner months when resources are scarcer.

They may also issue warnings about predators, coordinating movements, or simply keeping in touch with other members of their species

Are you into bird watching? Have you ever spotted a kingfisher?



Comments

  1. Beautiful picture. I do some oil painting, and I've painted a few kingfishers over the years. Couldn't resist. Absolutely stunning bird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very fond of birds, water birds, I think they are so beautiful - and although you weren't too happy with your phone - I enjoyed your photos very much. Thanks for sharing the link to the Le Zapping bird video, that was great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful birds. They look so small yet when you see the video of them fishing they look quite large!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen a Kingfisher. Lovely photo of it. I think I will paint it. Made me think of the movie but I see that I remembered wrong. The movie was called the Fisher King. I'm not much of a bird watcher but have been the last few years - in our yard. You write excellent informative posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have some in this area. There is a forest preserve just couple of miles away were people set up their cameras in the morning to get pictures of them and other waterfowl. I drove by them once while on my way to play some D&D with my kids at a friend's house. Lots of birdwatchers all standing out on an early cold spring morning. I felt some kinship to them. Both them and me and my kids were off indulging in hobbies we loved and probably spent way too much money on.
    This is true. But I am also lucky that the family I was born into is also pretty awesome.
    --
    Tim Brannan, The Other Side blog
    2024 A to Z of Dungeons & Dragons, Celebrating 50 Years of D&D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kingfishers are so pretty! I have never seen one. :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.