Lake Lucerne

Lake Lucerne covers an area of approximately 114 square kilometers (44 square miles) and its shores are bordered by five cantons (states). While it's not the largest lake in Switzerland, it holds considerable importance due to its scenic beauty and cultural significance.

The lake is called "Vierwaldstättersee" in Switzerland, in English it is named after the most important town on the lake: Lucerne- I could do en entire post about the city's beauty. Actually I did. 




Here we are standing at the Swiss Museum of Transport (Verkehrshaus der Schweiz) in Lucerne and looking across Lake Lucerne to your left, you can spot Mount Pilatus. one of the most iconic mountains in the region.





At the north-eastern tip of the lake lies the small town of Küssnacht, which is well known to us as a hockey family. Depending on the weather we like to drop Colin at the arena and head to the park by the lake. 






Moving on a couple of km / miles. This is the view from our friends' terrace. We usually celebrate New Year's Eve with them, and last year, we arrived early enough to enjoy this beautiful sunset. 





This winter picture was taken in the Gersau area, known to be the deepest point of the lake with 214 m (702 ft). I came here during the lockdown, when Colin was allowed to train, but all the restaurants are stores were closed, and I had nowhere to wait. 




Here we are in Sisikon, a very historic spot that has to do with our very own William Tell.



Mr Tell is the marksman who shot an apple off his son's head with a crossbow.

Why did he do that?

Before we get into it, here's the proper soundtrack:



The story goes back to the 14th century.

"Governor" Gessler representing the count of Habsburg in central Switzerland requests that everybody greets his hat on a rod in Altdorf (canton of Uri, where Gotthard's north portal is located). 

William Tell refuses reverence to the hat. Gessler forces William Tell to shoot an apple off his son's head with his crossbow. If he misses, both his son and Tell himself will be executed. 

Great shooter that he is, Tell hits the apple, but he has prepared a second arrow to shoot the governor in case he would have hurt the child.

Tell is spared his life but still gets arrested and put in chains. Gessler leaves with a boat on Lake Lucerne heading for his castle at Küssnacht. It would have been quite the journey, have a look: 



They didn't get far, though.

A storm due to warm fallwinds (not unusual in the region) brings the governor's team into distress. They let William Tell, who is more familiar with the lake, control the boat. 

Tell directs the boat towards a small flat rock, takes his crossbow and jumps off while pushing the boat back into the waves. This rock was named Tellsplatte. Tourists like to visit the chapel that was built right there in his honor. 

The crazy things people back then had to do, right? 

Tellsplatte is not the only place with a historic significance here.  The Lake Lucerne region also played an important role in the formation of the Swiss Confederacy, with sites like the Rütli Meadow, where the legendary oath of alliance among the Swiss cantons is said to have taken place in 1291.

These days the Lake Lucerne region is an important touristic area, and for a good reason as my pictures show. You can hike, swim, fish, ride (steam) boats, attend cultural events and visit landmarks. In the winter months many ski resorts invite you to ski, snowboard or sled. 

It is one of my favorite areas to enjoy a day out and about without having to drive hours and hours. 



Comments

  1. This is Alice from the Ultimate Blogging Challenge. I really enjoyed the William Tell story, as well as the beautiful photographs and the music. Great blog post! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blogpost. Your photos Tamara are so clear and so well composed that it makes me wonder if you are a professional photographer by trade? Fascinating to see the history of Lucerne and the castle. Was helpful visually to see the map you shared - thank you for that. It was a very very long time since I went to Lucerne myself - I had only just turned 10 years old (so several decades ago!) but I had a lovely time with my parents on holiday there and I recall the beauty of the place, the cleanliness, and indulging in delicious cheeses and chocolates :) Thank you for this choice of destination - as reading about your trip, has helped me to recal many happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tamara, I really enjoyed your post about Lucerne - your photography is a treat to see, beautiful compositions. I appreciated you including the map - that was visually appealing to me and helped to see the geography of Lucerne. The story of the castle and the history was fascinating. It brought back happy times for me in the childhood when I went on holiday with my parents to Switzerland. I can still remember how much I enjoyed indulging in the endless range of cheeses and chocolates! Alice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures! Thank you for helping me decide where to go next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty photos. I was there when I was 13. I only remember due to photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is Brenda Marie I love all photo. The heart one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful and peaceful photos of the lake Tamara. So breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.