Market


M is for market, and since you guys seemed to like Lucerne, why don't I take you to Lucerne's weekend market. It takes place year round, rain or shine, every Tuesday and Saturday morning, and these are brand new pictures from yesterday.

It was a gorgeous day, and I left early because I was afraid that the parking spaces would be gone quickly. 





The variety of the weekly market is remarkable: fruit, vegetables, spices, tea herbs, oils, fresh pasta products, eggs, baked goods, fish, meat, cheese, dairy products, Mediterranean delicacies as well as flowers and plants are on offer. Actually I was surprised about how many merchants offered flowers. Maybe it was a spring thing?

These mandarines are most certainly not a spring thing. I wonder where they got them from? They look so pretty with their leaves on.  



Usually you'll never see the chapel bridge empty! It was definitely a first for me. Tourists were still asleep or enjoying breakfast.




I made a point of having the bridge in the background of my photos whenever possible ;-) So this is cheese with a view!



Have you ever purchased artichokes? Have you ever bought them from such a scenic place though?



Baked goods, fresh from the oven. At least that's what they looked and smelled like. This lady must have been working all through the night.



I strongly believe a sunny day is reflected in people's moods. Everybody was cheerful and friendly.



Even the veggies I don't like to eat look appetizing! Did you know that rhubarb is in fact a vegetable? Like artichokes or asparagus, they are perennial vegetables.





What's this? Starter kit for new gardeners?



Most vendors are local, but some travel for several hours, like these stand owners from Ticino, the Italian part of Switzerland. You may not recognize what's in the transparent bags because it's a specialty: 


Polenta base, a traditional Italian dish made from coarsely ground cornmeal. It has been a staple food in Italian cuisine for centuries and is enjoyed in various forms throughout Italy and beyond.

The process of making polenta involves cooking cornmeal with water or broth until it thickens into a creamy, porridge-like consistency. It can be served soft and creamy, similar to mashed potatoes, or allowed to cool and set into a firmer texture that can be sliced and grilled or fried.

Polenta is versatile and can be flavored with a variety of ingredients such as butter, cheese, herbs, garlic, or even mushrooms, depending on personal preference and regional variations. It can be served as a side dish to accompany meats, stews, or grilled vegetables, or it can be the main component of a dish, topped with sauces, meats, or vegetables.


It was more than worth getting up early and making the one hour per way trip. 

Most towns have their own (bi-) weekly market, but the one that is closest to me is a sad little one compared to Lucerne. Last time I was walking through ours - for this post's sake - there were four stands: veggies, pastries, cheese, and I forgot what the fourth was. This is why I wanted to show you something nicer! I hope you enjoyed it, too.

Comments

  1. Lovely photos, thanks so much for sharing this market with us. I love polenta! I make it often and top with lots of veggies (and basil)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoy your photos Tamara - so much so, that it is now making me think that maybe it is time for me to make a return visit to Lucerne! Alice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I'd like to go to an open market like this one you're showing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous location for a market! The mandarins may not be local, but they look better than the ones in my stores, and they don't travel far. Such cute little baskets with flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the joys of living in Cuenca, Eduador was the outdoor markets. I loved shopping there!

    https://dbmcnicol.com/a-afterthought/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous pictures. Much nicer than the produce department at Safeway - LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great photos! Oh that cheese and artichokes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tamara, stunning! And you are an amazing photographer. No, I did not know rhubarb is a vegetable! Thanks! Btw, our "Safeway" supermarkets use "Lucerne" as their in-house dairy brand. Fun! How far is it from your place to Lucerne? Thanks for the super tour.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.