Old vs New

When I brainstormed for my spring-themed A - Z blog posts, I put "visit the botanical garden" on my to-do list. I had a brief chat about it with my friend, and she asked "well, are you talking about the old or the new one?"

I was confused. When I was a kid, my Mom took us to one, and I figured since this was so long ago, it must have been the old one ;-) Turns out it wasn't. There's an even older one.

New is usually better, right? So that's where I was headed one fine day. I was looking for a particular tree that was supposed to grow there, the dogwood tree. 

I didn't find it. Instead I came across other, nice plants. Some of the plants were labeled, with their normal name and Latin name and further description, and the others just grew there ;-) 



The one thing I remembered from my childhood visit were the domes in which different climate zones are recreated: Mountain rainforest, lowland rainforest and savannah.



The thermometer that shows 25° Celsius (77° F) only tells half the truth: On top of the warmth there's the humidity, which was not unbearable, but also not overly comfortable. Remember, I'm the Hockey Mom. I prefer it cool. 



And if you insist in warmth or heat, make it dry. I quite enjoyed the desert-like climate. I am also fascinated by the plants. They come with such skill, they are able to store water and therefore survive in harsh, arid environments where water is scarce.



How do they even do this?

Specialized tissues: Desert plants often have specialized tissues, such as succulent tissues, that can store water. These tissues can expand to hold large volumes of water when it's available and contract during periods of drought to minimize water loss.

Reduced surface area: Many desert plants have small leaves or no leaves at all, which helps reduce water loss through transpiration. Instead, they may have thick stems or modified structures like spines or scales, which also serve to reduce surface area and minimize water loss.

Deep root systems: Desert plants often have extensive root systems that can reach deep into the soil to access groundwater sources. These roots are efficient at absorbing and storing water, allowing the plant to survive during dry periods.

Water-storing structures: Some desert plants have specialized structures for storing water, such as bulb-like structures or swollen stems or roots. Examples include the bulbs of desert lilies or the swollen stems of cacti.

Waxy coatings: Many desert plants have a waxy coating on their leaves or stems, which helps reduce water loss through evaporation by forming a barrier that prevents water from escaping.

CAM photosynthesis: Certain desert plants, such as many succulents and cacti, use a special type of photosynthesis called CAM (Crassulacean Acid Metabolism). CAM plants open their stomata at night to take in carbon dioxide, which is stored as an organic acid. During the day, when the stomata are closed to reduce water loss, the stored carbon dioxide is released and used for photosynthesis



One thing these plants usually aren't, is being colourful. They need to conserve their resources for survival. So enjoy the species that have an abundance of resources.

Because it is so funny, I have memorized its name: red cattail, or Euphorbiaceae.



I thought this chart was interesting, and also symbolic for human beings: What you can see on the surface is less than half the truth! Look at these roots! Crazy! 



Before I left the new botanical garden, I walked past this insect hotel. It's probably mainly for bees. Nice job either way.



I was very curious about the old botanical garden. Why have I never heard of it, or even paid attention, it's literally in the middle of the city, I must have come by at some point? It turned out it's a bit "shielded" by stone walls and trees. Ha, trees, right? Nice trees, for that matter.



The area had something of an enchanted garden about it. Not overgrown or run-down, but mysterious and beautiful! Small hills, trails and steps let you explore the place.




I especially enjoyed this white magnolia. While I am a fan of pink, this one is just as gorgeous.



The octagonal Palm House was built from wood and glass in 1851 and replaced by a cast iron one in 1877. It is closed between October and late April and mainly used for concerts, theater and exhibitions. 



What I most enjoyed about this part, is that it's, as I said earlier, located in the middle of the city. In fairness, it was probably there before the streets and the houses were built. Left and right you can see business buildings through the trees, and it makes you feel so relaxed and privileged. At this very moment you have escaped the  daily hamster wheel. 




On top of the hill there's sort of a vista point. 



This is the view! Also some sort of "old vs new", right?




Leaving the park you can walk along the river for a while, still enjoying tranquility, until the sound of cars, trams and people drag you back to reality. 



I hope you enjoyed exploring the old and the new botanical garden with me. Any preference?

Comments

  1. Confession - I don't feel that great right now, so mostly looked at the pretty pics. Loved the colorful ones! And how interesting about what's beneath the surface. I guess we are like that, as humans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed "walking" the botanical gardens with you. The photos are beautiful and I learned so much about desert plants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful place! I have no botanical gardens near me anymore, but loved the one near my old home. I visited it from young childhood to into my 50s. I think the the park it was part of is really the only thing I miss since I moved away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love visiting botanical gardens .It's always a treasure trove of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the red cattail and oh those steps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Red cattails looks neat. I've never seen them before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love flowers. I used to go to the gardens with my grandfather and father when I was young. Brenda Marie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tamara, what a wonderful photo tour--thank you! Is that not a dogwood tree after the words "daily hamster wheel"? If I had to pick one, I would pick the younger botanical garden. But both are beautiful and magical. And magic is becoming more necessary weekly. Btw, living in a desert city, I felt right at home looking at the desert theme display in the first botanical garden. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.