Rooftop Terraces

Brainstorming for the letter R made me look forward to doing "research" on the topic of rooftop terraces. This turned out to be more difficult than expected, because these specific restaurants have the same opening hours as the department stores in which they are located, i.e. they close at 7 or 8pm and are overall closed on Sundays. Welcome to Switzerland.

I wanted to avoid the crowds but ended up joining them on a nice weather Saturday.

But let's introduce the contestants. They're all located at Zurich's Bahnhofstrasse, our fancy shopping mile. 

Modissa is 
a well-known fashion and lifestyle brand based in Switzerland, with its flagship store located in Zurich. Founded in 1928, Modissa has a long-standing reputation for offering high-quality clothing, accessories, and lifestyle products for men and women. The brand is recognized for its timeless elegance, sophisticated designs, and commitment to sustainability. 

I wasn't even aware of it, but their rooftop terrace seems be open year round, since this picture was taken around Christmastime, and the umbrellas were still out?






This is what it looks by day, in spring.




You have to walk across the ground floor of the fashion store. The elevator takes you to the 6th floor, and this is what the indoor area looks like. It was crowded outside, but people would rather leave than sit inside!




Not a chance to get a table that day.




Located at the corner of Bahnhofstrasse and Urania, you will have a lovely view of the commercial buildings in the area. The tower-like structure in the background is the observatory. It comes with a bar as well. I didn't include it here because even though it's on the 10th floor, it doesn't qualify as "rooftop", but it's lovely. 

Colin knows his way around there since he was an elementary student. No joke. Fun back story here.



On that particular day, it must have been someones birthday.



Next up is Globus, a popular department store chain in Switzerland that offers a wide range of products beyond fashion, including beauty, home goods, and gourmet food. While Globus does have a strong presence in the fashion industry and carries high-end designer brands, it caters to a broader demographic and offers a more diverse range of products compared to Modissa.




They must have done some remodelling. Everything looked different, and not necessarily better. One telltale sign was the fact that there were actually tables available. But here's the catch: you sit at a table, but no service comes, even when a waiter struts past after several minutes, he doesn't feel the need to ask what I want. 



Needless to say, I took the liberty to snap a few pictures and then left. I did like the view!



I knew where I was going to get not only something to drink, but lunch! At PKZ,

PKZ is known for its mix of high-quality international and Swiss brands, offering a diverse selection of clothing, accessories, and footwear. The brand caters to a wide range of customers, from those seeking luxury designer labels to those looking for more affordable yet stylish options.

One of PKZ's notable features is its emphasis on providing personalized service and expert advice to customers. The brand's stores often offer tailoring services and personal shopping assistance, enhancing the shopping experience for customers who value individual attention and expertise.


Although I had to put it together myself, I got exactly what I wanted on my plate - and what fitted into my calorie budget. This is a vegetarian self-service restaurant with lots of vegan options, something you don't often find here. 

They don't have a lot of space, so they arrange their buffet on two "floors"; warm dishes up and chilled salads below. There's several of these buffet towers, some indoor seating and two rooftop terraces (3rd floor): one where you're allowed to smoke (yuck) and a smoke-free on the opposite end so you're not being bothered. 



This is what sitting indoors looks like. Fairly cramped seating. I do love the lights. It doesn't come across on the photo, but there's some rainbow effect going on. 




This is the smoke-free terrace. More like a winter garden. I suppose as it gets warmer, they will be able to slide these windows open. Of the three restaurants, I like this one best, great choice of good quality food, no snotty waiters, but the view is not spectacular as you basically look onto the next door neighbor's building. Yeah, well, can't have it all. 



Oh, but wait, there's one more I visited. Grieder is another prominent Swiss fashion retailer, with a history dating back to 1882. It operates luxury fashion stores in several Swiss cities, including Zurich, Basel, and Lucerne. Grieder is known for its curated selection of high-end fashion brands for both men and women, offering a blend of international designers and Swiss labels.

In the late 1980s and early 1990s when Swatches were popular, it used to be a good place to hope to catch a new arrival.

The fervor for Swatch watches was so intense that some enthusiasts would camp outside stores just to be among the first to get their hands on the latest designs. Waiting in line overnight became a ritual for many Swatch fans, adding an element of anticipation and community to the whole experience.

Just to clarify, I wasn't among them ;-)


Its terrace is not technically a roof terrace either, but it is a hidden gem that offers a panoramic view over the renowned Paradeplatz.



Paradeplatz is home to some of Switzerland's banks. It is also a transportation hub, with eight different tram lines running through it. I loved the view, it was like a real life hidden object book, but I couldn't stay. There was a waiter / warden. All the tables were occupied, and new guests had to wait inside. He let me slip outside to take a quick look.



The terrace itself is nice, very lush, but very small. Seating doesn't look comfortable. Mostly backless rattan blocks and some high chairs. 




Going back down, I admired the lamps / decoration items in the stairway. 




This is my recap of the shopping mile rooftop terraces. Of course there are more rooftop terraces across the city, many belonging to hotels or clubs, so you have to be a guest or a member to even get access. 

Do you have a favorite among the four I presented?


Comments

  1. I like the idea of rooftop terraces. I appreciate you sharing the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the decor with the hanging glass. Very pretty. Great photo tour of the rooftop restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What awesome photos of rooftop terraces! I like all the umbrella at Melissa's and the different shots of night and day. I don't think we have any rooftop terraces in SC, now I'll have to go check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I definitely have a favorite view! It seems to be the one where the waiters ignore you. I love the architecture!! Not sure I'd ever want to be on the terrace of a rooftop restaurant, but can imagine enjoying the view from inside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delightful idea for a blogpost.I like rooftop restaurants only if it's a great view.Enjoyed all that you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tamara, I loved this tour of the rooftops! And all the lighting schemes! If I had to pick a favorite, I would pick Modissa. All this reminded me of visiting London department store Derry and Tom's, long ago. We were supposed to be able to have afternoon tea there. Alas, while the view was great, the gardens were neglected (in June) and there was no tea. I have read that it closed a few years later. In Phoenix, rooftop restaurants are all the rage now, with new ones opening fairly often. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.