Zen Garden

For the letter Z I wanted to make this post about Japanese Zen Gardens in Switzerland. Turns out there are two official ones. Both in areas I couldn't get to within a reasonable time. 

So instead I'll give you this neighborhood garden buddha statue:



A Zen garden is a traditional Japanese garden style that originated in Kyoto, Japan, during the Muromachi period (14th–16th centuries). It typically consists of carefully arranged rocks, gravel or sand, moss, pruned trees, and bushes, all within a confined space.

The design of a Zen garden is based on principles of simplicity, minimalism, and harmony with nature. These gardens are often meant to evoke a sense of tranquility, meditation, and contemplation.

Many people also create miniature versions of Zen gardens for personal use, relaxation, and stress relief.

I made mine over 20 years ago, but I still remember the day it happened:

After a long-ish process of changing careers, my new employer was located in a new city which was, depending on traffic, a 45 - 60 minutes' drive away.

My family and friends, hairdresser, dentist and gynaecologist of course were still in the area I lived in, so for maintenance procedures on either my hair, my teeth or my female parts, I needed to take a (half) day off.

On one of those rare me-time days I came across a crafts supplies store and decided to go in and check it out. They had all kinds of stuff that attracted me:

  • Decoration items for birthdays, christenings, weddings, you name it
  • Paint, glitter, paper, cardboard, felt, wood
  • Miniature furniture for a doll's house or tiny veggies and fruit pieces for a toy grocery store 


I especially liked the cute little deck chairs with an umbrella attached and the (proportionally) oversized lifebelt, and it made me think of a project I had in my mind for some time:

Some kind of miniature beach for those days you need to escape but can't. 

How to go about this? 

I remembered an article I had read (it was a time before Pinterest and blog posts existed!) about mini Zen gardens: Throw some hummus soil into a rectangular container, plant some herbs or other low-rise plants, arrange some  moss and a couple of pebble stones and voilĂ , your own little Zen garden!

Ha! I could totally do this!

I purchased the following:

  • Fine sand
  • Fence
  • Tools: a rake, a sieve and a spoon
  • Said life preserver and beach chairs
  • Shells


I couldn't wait to get home and arrange everything in a glass baking dish! This is how it turned out, and I was pretty pleased:




The next day I took it to the office. 

Everyone who stepped into my office immediately grabbed the rake and began to "work". 

Some cleaned up my beach, arranged the shells by size or just randomly played around.

As soon as they were gone, and I was on a lengthy phone call, I rearranged everything how I liked it.

Days and years passed.

I left this job and moved my sandy beach to a new office twice. 

My beach Zen garden even spent a while in storage while I had packed up and left my country to go live near the real beach.

Days and years passed.

One fine night in December 2014, Cookie, our Elf on the Shelf, decided to spread out a towel, set up her own deck chair, chill out at my beach and recover from her busy day_



There you go, your turn not to create your own miniature Zen garden - what is yours going to look like?

That's a wrap, guys! 

Thank you so much for being part of my blogging journey throughout the alphabet. 

Let's keep in touch:

Comments

  1. I love that you made a Zen garden to keep at work, I'd say it's likely the place many of us need it the most! What a lovely idea, I'm going to start thinking of my own Zen garden. Thanks for the smiles and inspiration!

    I've enjoyed checking in with your blog this month, Tamara (as I always do!), thanks for sharing your thoughts, making us think, keeping us entertained, and sharing incredible photos of flowers and trees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That mini beach is such a great idea! I could definitely get into that type of theme! - Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know having that mini zen garden practically made you teleport yourself to a real zen beach!Loved the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to have a little Zen garden sand tray with rocks from a kit. I think it's around without the sand. I love tiny dollhouse items!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, congratulations on completing the A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your zen garden, Tamara. You're very inventive and creative. I've been to Japan and Kyoto and the zen gardens there. Yes, very tranquil and calming. Surprising to find such quiet and calm amid a populous country.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of a desktop zen garden!! Well done and congrats on making to the end of the A-Z.
    https://dbmcnicol.com/a-afterthought/

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great end to the A to Z. I love the Zen Garden idea. I've seen them before but forgot all about them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a desk top one that I love it was a gift from my son many years ago. Brenda Marie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love, love, love it!! I am landlocked, basically, so would love to have something like that. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the fact everyone started playing with the Zen garden as soon as it showed up at work. Everyone needs some beach time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.