Things I love

Welcome back to another episode of A'lil Hoohaa's monthly photo blogging challenge. 

Our prompt for the month of July was "Things I love", and there's many things I love - just how to photograph them..?

I am going to dedicate this post to things I love to do with my son Colin. He is going to turn 16 in a few weeks, and has become incredibly grown-up and independent. However, almost all of his friends were on vacation, so he was quite happy to get out and about with me. 

Something we had been looking forward to for an entire year was Taylor Swift performing in Zurich. Getting tickets was an adventure in itself. The day before the concert we stood in line to purchase an overpriced T-Shirt, and we spent several hours to create friendship bracelets. This was truly a highlight for me. Over the course all of these years I could barely bring my hockey guy to do arts and crafts with me, but hey, if it's for Taylor.. ;-)


In case you're not familiar with why Swifties sit down and engage in bracelet making, it goes back to her song her song ‘You're on your own, kid’. 

‘Make the friendship bracelets, take the moment and taste it’ sings Taylor in 2022, inspiring fans to make their own friendship bracelets and swap them with each other at concerts as part of The Eras Tour.

So what was the concert like? Even though I don't consider myself a fan, and I hate mass events, I thought it was impressive and magical. More about our experience here. 

Finding things to do with a teenager during summer break can be tough. One activity that is a staple on our list, is plane spotting. We like to have lunch at the airport and venture out to observe these Triple Sevens and A380s and everything else departing.



It was just a few days after the global IT outage caused by CrowdStrike (what a fitting name) that disrupted airport operations and resulted in cancellations and delays, just as millions of people where about to leave on vacation. So we were quite happy to watch from afar ;-)

Speaking of flying. One of Colin's teammates had just returned from his high school exchange program. He had spent a year on Vancouver Island and had a lot to tell. Of course they wanted to go Engelberg, where they spent a week of hockey camp every summer when they were U11, U13 and U15. We usually do this in order to break in new skates. This year, to my surprise his current ones still fit, but the tradition seems to live on. Who am I to argue. The scenery!





Is it just me or have they become incredibly tall and grown-up in no time?




More scenery was awaiting us on an other day. We had purchased a day pass for public transportation. We wanted to try this game "Dice the Track" where you get to roll the dice to determine what train to take and the number of stops just for the fun of finding out where it was going to take us. That's how we were heading to Grindelwald in the Bernese Highlands.



July is the month hubby and I were getting married. This year we celebrated our 20th anniversary. Since I am in the picture I obviously didn't take it, so consider it a bonus. This was on the 24th. We had a nice dinner on the outdoor patio of a country inn. My husband doesn't know it yet, but on August 2, we will have another dinner, to which we will be joined by our maid of honor and best man with their partners. 



I hope you enjoyed my things I like!

Now check out my fellow bloggers' contribution to this month's topic. 



Comments

  1. So many amazing adventures. "Dice the Track" would be tricky here in Canada, given the minimal amount of public transit relative the widely dispersed population. That's probably why I'd never heard of the game! Yes, they do eventually stop growing. And it's a small blessing for the pocketbook when last year's skates still fit. :) Congratulations on your 20th wedding anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it's difficult to find things teens like to do...especially with "old people" like their grandparents! Congratulations on 20 years! That's a major accomplishment. We celebrated 44 this July....never thought we'd get that far after his cancer diagnosis almost 10 years ago!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.